Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) "Molecular mechanisms of microbial interactions"
Leibniz Institute DSMZ–German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures, Braunschweig
The Leibniz-Institut DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH, Braunschweig, Germany, offers a position as a
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
"Molecular mechanisms of microbial interactions"
The position is available in the Department Microbial Ecology and Diversity Research (www.dsmz.de). Appointment will be initially for 2 years and can be extended based on a positive interim evaluation. The salary-level will be TV-L 13, according to qualification. The position is offered full time but not appropriate for part time work. The starting date envisioned is December 1, 2022.
The molecular mechanisms of interactions represent a key research topic in the Department Microbial Ecology and Diversity Research. This research focusses on selected types of symbiotic associations between microorganisms, particularly phototrophic bacteria. Experimental access to these model systems is gained through the isolation and cultivation of representative microorganisms, including phototrophic consortia but also heterotrophic associations. Therefore profound experience in advanced cultivation techniques is a must. For elucidation of the molecular mechanisms of interactions, state-of-the-art Omics methods are applied. In addition, the job requires close interaction with collaboration partners, both on a national and international level.
What we offer:
- Research opportunities at the forefront of life sciences
- Plenty of room for creativity & challenging topics
- Access to state-of-the-art Omics methods, including long read DNA sequencing technologies and metabolomics
- Access to in-house high-performance computing clusters (2,464 CPUs, 18 TB RAM)
- An interdisciplinary working environment with frequent exchange of experiences
- A motivated research team and a pleasant working atmosphere in a scientific environment
- Education and training
- A company certified according to audit berufundfamilie, therefore flexible possibilities to combine work and family life
What you offer:
- Successfully completed studies in life sciences and a Ph.D./Dr. rer. nat. degree
- Profound experience in the cultivation of challenging types of bacteria and their formal taxonomic description
- Profound experience in microbial physiology
- Knowledge of methods for sequence analysis
- A good command of English
- Ability for scientific writing and several publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Interest in interdisciplinary work
- Initial research experience in the field of biotic interactions would be advantageous
Do you find yourself in this job description? Then we look forward to receiving your application.
The institutes of the Leibniz Association strive to increase the proportion of female scientists and encourage female candidates specifically to apply. Disabled applicants with identical technical and personal qualification will be preferentially selected. The DSMZ is an equal opportunity employer.
For further information and more detailed project descriptions please contact Prof. Dr. Jörg Overmann (joerg.overmann(at)dsmz.de). Please send your complete application documents including a CV, motivation letter, copies of certificates, and contact details of two academic referees in a single PDF file with application number 22/22 to bewerbung(at)dsmz.de.
The deadline for this application is 15th October 2022, but we may continue to review applications until the position is filled.