Postdoctoral Researcher/Ecologist (m/f/d)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
The Senckenberg Nature Research Society (SGN), an institution of the Leibniz Association with almost 800 employees, operates six research institutes located in seven federal states. SGN also assists the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Grube Messel".
The Department of River Ecology and Conservation at Senckenberg (Gelnhausen) in cooperation with the Faculty of Biology at the University of Duisburg-Essen jointly invite application for a
Postdoctoral Researcher (Ecologist) (m/f/d)
The position is embedded in the International Long-Term Ecological Research (ILTER) network and the European Long-Term Ecosystem, critical zone and socio-ecological Research Infrastructure (eLTER RI). The eLTER RI will comprise about 200 eLTER Sites from over 20 participating European countries. It will provide access to a wide range of long-term biodiversity and environmental data. eLTER RI will enable standard observations and analyses of the environment in a holistic manner, encompassing biological, geological, hydrological and socio-ecological perspectives.
The European Commission has recently approved two major, complementary Horizon2020 projects: eLTER PLUS (Advanced Community) and eLTER PPP (Preparatory Phase). The projects will provide a major boost to scientific work at selected eLTER sites across Europe and thereby catalyze eLTER RI development. Both projects will start in February 2020 and will last five years.
The research done by the candidate should focus on identifying patterns, drivers and indicators of short-term variability and long-term trends in biodiversity. We will provide access to large long-term eLTER RI biodiversity and environmental datasets covering various terrestrial, freshwater and marine taxa groups. We encourage applications from both terrestrial and/or freshwater ecologists.
- Contribute to the research of the eLTER PLUS project
- Conduct additional research on global change impacts on biodiversity within the framework of further projects of the department (i.e. restoration ecology, multiple stressor analyses, long-term ecological research)
- Data analysis, preparation of manuscripts and reports
- Involvement in national and international projects, including the support of the ILTER science chair
- Mentoring graduate students
- PhD in Ecology or a related field
- Solid background in (macro-) ecology and zoology (preferably invertebrates)
- Advanced skills in statistical analyses of large ecological datasets, preferably using R
- Strong track record of international publications
- Excellent written and oral communication and project presentation skills
What is awaiting you?
Salary and benefits are according to a public service position in Germany (TV-H E 13, 100%). The contract should start around April 1st, 2020 and is initially restricted to 2 years with a possible extension.
The Senckenberg Research Institute supports equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is in Gelnhausen (Hesse), Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
You would like to apply?
Please send your complete application documents until January 22nd, 2020 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document), mentioning the reference number of this position (ref. #04-19008) and include
- a letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the post
- a detailed CV
- copies of your academic certificates and transcripts
- contact details of 2 references
- a list of publications and funding to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
For scientific enquiries please get in contact with Prof. Dr. Peter Haase, peter.haase(at)senckenberg.de.