Postdoctoral researchers (m/f/d)
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (BNITM), Hamburg
The Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (www.bnitm.de) is the largest Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Germany and is the National Reference Centre for Tropical Pathogens, a WHO Collaborating Centre, and member of the Leibniz Research Association.
The Department of Virology at the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine in Hamburg invites applicants for positions starting as of 1st of August 2020 as two
Postdoctoral researchers (m/f/d)
(EG 13 TV-AVH)
for the project "Coordination of laboratory investigations in the framework of the Lassa fever epidemiology program in West Africa". The project is funded by the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI). We are looking for highly motivated candidates with experience in virus diagnostics and project implementation in the African context. The project will involve several West African partner sites. The positions are available for two years and remunerated in accordance with the German salary scheme for the public service (TV-AVH).
- MD or PhD in natural sciences
- Experience and practical expertise in molecular and serological diagnostics and SOP development
- Experience in project implementation in the African context, capacity building, and training
- Experience in project management including technical and financial reporting
- Excellent organisational and intercultural communication skills
- Team spirit and commitment to the team and our partners in Africa
- Willingness and fitness to travel and stay in Sub-Saharan Africa for multiple missions (2 to 6 weeks per mission)
- Excellent language skills in English; French is an asset
Scope of work:
- Conduct laboratory site assessments and build capacity as needed
- Develop and harmonize laboratory SOPs
- Develop training SOPs
- Perform laboratory trainings
- Conduct periodic supportive supervision and ensure the quality of laboratory work in the project countries
- Interact with project partners and governance/execution bodies
- Project management and reporting
- integration into an open-minded and motivated team
- 30 days holidays per year
- flexible and family-friendly working hours
- childcare allowance
- subsidy for HVV-ProfiTicket
- opportunities for further education and training
- special conditions in selected sports and fitness clubs
We support our employees in achieving a work-life balance and promote the professional equality of women and men. We strive to assist women in their scientific career, increase the number of women in research and reduce underrepresentation in all areas and positions in general. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference when equally qualified.
Please submit your application containing (preferably as a single pdf file):
- cover letter highlighting experience in the area concerned
- CV with full publication list
- university certificates and list of examination marks
- contact details of 2 references
Please apply preferably online by 10.7.2020 via our online-application form https://jobs.bnitm.de/2-Postdoctoral-researchers-mfd-eng-f94.html.
Alternatively, you can send your documents using the reference "CEPI-PostDoc“ by mail to:
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Human Resources Department, Bernhard-Nocht-Str. 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or the selection procedure, please contact Jeannette Meurer from the Human Resources Department (meurer(at)bnitm.de).
For further questions please contact Prof. Stephan Günther (guenther(at)bnitm.de) from the department of Virology.