Pre-Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d)
Ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich
The ifo Center for Labor and Demographic Economics is looking for two motivated pre-docs to contribute to scientific projects under the supervision of Professor Helmut Rainer, starting September 1, 2021. The position involves research collaboration on new and ongoing empirical projects in the areas of applied microeconomics and economics of climate change.
The position offers the opportunity to learn about a broad range of economic research topics and methods and is ideal as preparation for a doctorate in economics. The selected candidate will gain valuable skills in the analysis of large data sets as well as experience in applied econometrics.
The ifo Institute is one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe. It works on economically and politico-economic issues of international relevance at the highest scientific level and with an international impact and develops research-based recommendations for action for politics, business and society. Through its five fields of activity - research, promotion of young researchers, political consulting, participation in public debates and information/services - it contributes to maintaining and increasing sustainable economic prosperity and social participation under constantly changing conditions.
What are the economic consequences of changes in the labour market and the population? This is the focus of the ifo Centre for Labour Market and Popu-lation Economics. With the help of theoretical analyses, modern econometrics and on the basis of specific data sources, it approaches previously unresolved questions. The aim is to inform politicians and the public about the cause-and-effect relationships underlying the most pressing social problems of our time.
- Collaboration in the acquisition and implementation of scientific projects in the fields of applied microeconomics and economics of climate change
- Data acquisition, preparation, and analysis
- Writing non-technical papers for publication
- Internal support for scientific projects
- Literature research and classification of scientific projects in the existing research literature
- Master's degree completed with very good results in economics, or in a comparable field of study
- A strong quantitative research background
- Statistical/scientific programming experience, particularly in Stata, Python, ArcGIS, or R.
- Independent work and problem solving
- German language skills are an advantage but are not mandatory
- Interesting and challenging job in one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe
- Full-time (40.1 hours/week) or part-time
- Emporary employment contract until 31.08.2022; possibility to apply for an internal PhD position after one year.The position is particularly suitable for students pursuing a PhD in economics. A PhD position will become available in our center in September 2022 for which the candidate can apply.
- Flexible organisation of working time
- Insights into the methods of scientific work
- Many further education and training opportunities
- Remuneration in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service of the Länder - TV-L, of pay group 10
- Social benefits (company pension scheme [VBL])
- Relocation allowance for employees moving from abroad
- German courses for employees without knowledge of German
The ifo Institute promotes professional equality regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religion or world view, disability, age or sexual identity. It strives to increase the proportion of women in research and therefore expressly encourages women to apply.
Please apply with the reference number 2021-017 AB-PreDoc by 1. August 2021 using the form here.
Please attach a letter of motivation, your CV, references and other documents relevant to your application in the lower section of the form.
Please make sure to use only .pdf files, Word documents and images in .jpg format. Please also note to use short file names. Too long file names can lead to errors when sending the application. Please read the document "Information on attachment naming" carefully so that your application can be sent to us without errors.
Please use "Mozilla Firefox" or "Microsoft Edge" as browser. In case of problems, please check if you are using the latest browser version.
If you have any questions, please contact recruiting(at)ifo.de.
You can find more information about the ifo Institute and careers at https://www.ifo.de/en/about-us/ifo-career.