Predoctoral Research Fellow (f/m/d)
WZB Berlin Social Science Center
The Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung gGmbH (WZB, Berlin Social Science Centre), research department Institutions and Political Inequality IPI (Director: Professor Macartan Humphreys) seeks to hire a
Predoctoral Research Fellow (f/m/d)
with a contract duration of two years. The expected start date is 1 September 2021. The appointment is made at 100% of the regular working hours (currently 39 hours/week).
The WZB is a publicly financed international social science institution that conducts theory-based and problem-oriented research (see: http://www.wzb.eu/en).
The research department Institutions and Political Inequality (IPI) uses observational and experimental methods to study major problems related to the political economy of social and political inequality with a focus on the political economy of international development.
The predoctoral positions in the department are ideal for candidates seeking to enhance research exposure and develop research design and analysis skills before embarking on PhD dissertation research.
Your tasks and duties will likely include
- Providing research support to the department
- Conducting statistical analysis
- Developing new instruments for data collecting
- Conducting literature searches
- Editing manuscripts and other documents
Your qualification and profile
- Completed master degree in a social science discipline or statistics
- Very good statistical skills including competence in R and/or STATA
- Excellent English writing and communication skills (English is the working language of the department)
- Preferably field work experience
- Remuneration in accordance with EG 13 TVöD Bund (in accordance with German public service collective agreement)
- Additional benefits for public service employees (VBL U)
- A well-equipped workplace in the center of Berlin
- Active support by research assistants, travel funding and access to small and medium-scale research funds for data collection, as well as opportunities to invite external collaborators and speakers
- International, cooperative, and diversified working environment
- In-depth integration into the scientific community through participation in colloquiums and conferences
- We promote a good work-life balance, and our engagement has been certified by audit workandfamily and the European Commission’s Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R)
- Comprehensive program for continuous professional development and further qualification, in the own discipline and beyond
Equally qualified applicants with disabilities will be given preference. We value diversity and welcome all applications – irrespective of gender, nationality, ethnic or social origin, religion, disability, age, or sexual orientation. WZB expressly encourages women or persons with migration backgrounds to apply.
Please start your application by following the steps outlined here. We will evaluate all complete applications received by (and including) 20 May 2021.
Candidates are requested to submit the following documents (all in English) in a single PDF-file
- Cover letter outlining career goals, research interests, statistical skills, experience supporting social scientific research, and names for up to three letter writers that could support your application
- Writing sample
Please ask one writer to send a reference letter directly to application-ipi(at)wzb.eu with your name in the subject line.
Job interviews will likely take place in the week starting on 7 June 2021.