Prospective Doctoral Researchers (m/f/d)
German Institute of Global and Area Studies (GIGA), Hamburg
The German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA) / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent Social Science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social, and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East to address questions of local and global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, globalisation and development, peace and security, and global order and foreign policies. The GIGA Doctoral Programme (DP) invites applications from externally / self-funded
Prospective Doctoral Researchers
to join the programme starting 1 October 2023. The DP offers an institutional setting that allows doctoral researchers to conduct independent research on topics of real-world relevance, engage in academic debates, and acquire key skills for a successful academic career. GIGA doctoral researchers are fully integrated into the institute’s research structure and benefit from close supervision and tailored training within an international research environment. Through academic exchanges and fieldwork, they engage with the “GIGA regions” and build their own networks. Doctoral degrees will be awarded by one of our partner universities, dependent upon the affiliation of the doctoral researcher’s supervisor.
- A university degree (Master or equivalent) with a very strong grade point average in Political Science/International Relations, Economics, History, or a related discipline. Normally we expect candidates to have a GPA of 1.5 or better (German system or equivalent);
- A high-quality project proposal that shows a clear fit with the GIGA’s research agenda, i.e. region-specific analysis relating to Africa, Asia, Latin America, or the Middle East as well as questions of global significance on a topic that integrates well into one of the four research programmes of the GIGA. Projects with a cross-regional or a comparative area studies focus are particularly welcome;
- Strong command of the English language (German is not a prerequisite).
- An academic environment that facilitates innovative research and provides excellent possibilities for individual development,
- Full integration into the research structure of the GIGA,
- An office space in an open-plan office in Hamburg’s city centre and options for mobile work,
- A comprehensive training programme consisting of core social science modules and soft skills,
- The possibility to apply for additional mobility grants for field work and conference attendance.
We strongly welcome international applications. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes the equality of all genders. Additionally, we actively encourage applications from persons with disabilities.
Please fill out the GIGA DP application form (available online) and send it together with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-23-01) including:
- A letter of motivation, CV, and a research proposal of maximum 2,000 words,
- Simple copies of degrees and academic transcripts (BA, Diploma, MA), proof of English-language skills, and a statement about funding plans for the duration of three years (final admission is contingent upon the applicant’s ability to provide an outline of funding plans by the DP’s start date),
- and an additional academic writing sample
German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA)
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: jobs-dp(at)giga-hamburg.de (email applications are particularly welcome; please send all required documents as one pdf, except for the academic writing sample that should be attached as a second pdf).
Screening of applications will begin on 1 February 2023.