Scientist in Deep Time Paleoenvironmental Change (m/f/d)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
The Senckenberg Society for Nature Research was founded in 1817 and is one of the most important research institutions around biological diversity. At its eleven sites throughout Germany, scientists from over 40 nations conduct cutting-edge research on an international scale. The company's headquarters are in the Main metropolis of Frankfurt in the heart of Germany. It is also home to one of Senckenberg's best-known facilities, the Senckenberg Natural History Museum.
Following its mission to “analyze and document biodiversity in Earth system dynamics – to serve science and society” Senckenberg fosters curiosity-driven as well as application-oriented collections-based research.
At the Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum Frankfurt, we are seeking to fill the position of a
in Deep Time Paleoenvironmental Change
(E 13, 100%, tenure track)
with a focus on causes and effects of extreme events and/or biodiversity crises in Earth history.
We are looking for innovative and internationally recognized candidates (m/f/d) with an excellent track record studying causes and effects of long- and short-term extreme events in deep time Earth history. We are particularly interested in candidates who have a strong interest in interdisciplinary Earth system approaches and relating knowledge about deep time extinction events to present-day planetary change. The ideal candidate has documented expertise in specimen/collection-based research using fossil organisms and can contribute to developing long-term perspectives on the role of global change in (paleo-)biodiversity conservation. The selected candidate will develop a highly published and externally funded research program that includes curatorial responsibilities at the Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum Frankfurt and supervision of students, post-doctoral researchers and technical staff.
- Doctoral degree in Earth or biological sciences, with a focus on paleontology, paleobiology or a related field
- Outstanding research record on long- and/or short-term extreme-events in deep time Earth history documented by international peer-reviewed publications
- Experience in curation and management of paleontological collections
- Fluency in English both spoken and written; willingness to learn German
What is awaiting you?
- A vibrant, international team of scientists with collections-based research programs
- An attractive and challenging position in a research institution of international standing. The tenure track process adheres to the Senckenberg performance indicators and a merit-based career and promotion policy with the prospect of permanent employment
- Excellent infrastructures and collaboration opportunities, e. g. in taxonomy of various groups of animal and plant fossils, biostratigraphy, geochronology, isotope analysis, paleoenvironmental and paleoclimate reconstruction at Senckenberg but also partnering institutions
- Opportunities to participate in teaching and outreach activities, e.g. in the Senckenberg museums
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Hesse (TV-H) and depending on the expertise of the applicant
- Life in a vibrant, internationally-minded city (population 750.000), a global hub for transport and culture
What you can expect
- Flexible working hours - a discounted job ticket for public transportation in the Rhein-Main area - support with childcare or caring for family members (certified by the "audit berufundfamilie") – Senckenberg badge in connection with free admission to many municipal museums - special annual payment according to the collective agreement - vacation entitlement according to the collective agreement (30 days/ year) - company pension scheme
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Scope of employment: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Type of contract: Initially limited for a period of 3 years (tenure track)
The position can be filled as soon as possible.
Senckenberg aims to increase the proportion of women. Qualified female candidates are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. Senckenberg is certified by the "audit berufundfamilie". Compliance with the guidelines for the severely disabled and the provisions of the law on part-time work is ensured.
Please send your application documents (CV, certificates and references, PDFs of 3 most important publications, letter of motivation and future visions for research and collections (max. 3 pages), mentioning the reference of this job announcement (ref.#01-22023) before 31.7.2022 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main