Research Assistant /Doctoral Student (m,f,d) - Economics of Transformation towards Sustainability in Cities and Regions
Leibniz Association, Brussels
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development e. V. in Dresden advertises the following position at the earliest possible date (according to the German law on fixed-term contracts in science- WissZeitVG) for three years:
Research Assistant /Doctoral Student (m,f,d)
Economics of Transformation towards Sustainability in Cities and Regions
TV-L E-13, (65%, 26 hours per week)
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER) in Dresden is a non-university research centre in the field of the spatial sciences and a member of the Leibniz Association. We investigate the conditions and dynamics of spatial sustainability transformations and their acceleration in the context of the global ecological crisis. The advertised position is allocated to the research area "Economic aspects of ecological urban and regional development".
We are looking for a research assistant to strengthen our research on key factors and processes for the initiation and spread of economic activities that are compatible with ecological boundaries, considering all levels and scales, and how these in turn influence urban and regional economic structures. The key tasks will be to identify innovative and pioneering research questions linked to current critical debates in sustainability economics, to develop theoretical approaches and models for investigating such questions, and to perform empirical analysis. The research should lead to peer-reviewed scientific publications.
The candidates are expected to join the doctoral program (including doctoral courses) at the Faculty of Economics of the Technical University of Dresden. They must propose a specific topic and outline a research approach, which would be the starting point of their thesis.
Proposals could be related to:
- Eco-innovation or new sustainable business models and their spatial implications
- Urban and regional land use patterns and dynamics, and sustainable land use policy instruments
- Integrated ecological-economic modelling at the urban and regional scale (involving e.g. regional input-output or CGE modelling)
- Other spatial issues in the domain of sustainability economics and current pluralist approaches in economics
Expected skills and competences
- Above-average Diploma or Master degree in a pertinent field, e.g. environmental and natural resource economics, economic geography, regional and urban economics
- Good programming and mathematical skills
- Practical experience in economic modelling, econometrics, and spatial economic analysis would be of advantage
- Strong interest in sustainability transformations and their spatial implications
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, good presentation skills
- Excellent English language skills (oral and written)
- Sound organizational skills and work discipline
- Willingness to improve German language skills (for foreign applicants).
Employment at IOER
The selected candidate will be fully integrated into the research area “Economic aspects of ecological urban and regional development”, interacting in a highly interdisciplinary environment. We actively support Ph.D. candidates in the preparation of their thesis through a structured program, providing continuous mentoring, as well as training opportunities e.g. regarding scientific approaches, methods and publishing. Additional qualification options (e.g. workshops on qualitative and quantitative methods, international summer schools) are organized within the framework of the Dresden Leibniz Graduate School.
What we offer:
- Collaboration in a highly qualified interdisciplinary team at a leading research institute of the Leibniz Association
- Flat hierarchies and opportunities for participation
- Creative and motivating working environment
- Vivid social culture and diversity
- Openness and trusted cooperation
- Family support and flexible working schedules
- Equal opportunities (Total-E-Quality certified)
- Career planning and training opportunities
- Sustainability management
- Allowance for a "Job-Ticket" for public transport
Place of work: IOER in Dresden
We particularly encourage applications of women. Applications of disabled persons with a comparable qualification will be considered by priority.
Please submit your complete application documents (motivation letter, CV, diplomas) and a 2- page research proposal (exposé) by using the keyword "FBW" by April 10, 2020 to Frau Dr. Andrea Wendebaum (a.wendebaum(at)ioer.de) or by regular mail:
Leibniz-Institut für ökologische Raumentwicklung e.V.
Personalbüro (keyword: FBW)
01217 Dresden, Germany
Please note that we will not be able to return your application dossier.
For questions concerning this job opportunity, please contact: Prof. Dr. Artem Korzhenevych (a.korzhenevych(at)ioer.de) indicating "FBW" in the email subject.