Research Associate (Doctoral Candidate) (f/m/d)
GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, Mannheim
GESIS – Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences is an internationally active research institute, funded by federal and state governments and member of the Leibniz Association.
Starting on 1.5.2020 our Department Monitoring Society and Social Change, Team Social Surveys located in Mannheim, is looking for a
Research Associate (f/m/d)
(Salary group 13 TV-L, 75%, limited to 4 years)
Monitoring current social developments is a primary objective of the social sciences. The department „Monitoring Society and Social Change“ supports the social sciences in this task, by providing comprehensive data and tools to describe and analyse social changes.
The position is located in the German General Social Survey (ALLBUS). As an infrastructure service for the social sciences, the ALLBUS provides a continuous and high-quality database for research and teaching.
Your tasks will be:
- Contribution to the implementation and conceptual design of the ALLBUS; including questionnaire development, field monitoring and interviewer controls, data preparation and quality control as well as study documentation and study-related public relations work
- Research on the ALLBUS with a survey methodological and/or a substantive focus and the publication and presentation of your research
- A PhD related to the ALLBUS preferably in social sciences, political sciences or survey methodology
- Completed Master's degree in the social sciences (e.g. sociology, political science, social psychology, survey methodology), ideally with reference to survey methods
- Knowledge of and interest in survey research; practical experience in conducting social science surveys (preferably face-to-face surveys) is an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of empirical social sciences, quantitative analysis methods and statistical programs (preferably SPSS, Stata, R)
- Fluent in written and spoken German and very good knowledge of written and spoken English
- Independent, organized, efficient and proactive working style as well as strong communication and team skills
GESIS offers an exciting work environment for interdisciplinary research at the interface between the social sciences and computer science. As an infrastructure institution, we promote social science research and cooperate with renowned international research institutes.
GESIS supports your PhD, i.e., with our GESIS Doctoral Program. We offer a wide range of career opportunities in an attractive and rewarding work environment that allows you to carry out your tasks in a creative and autonomous manner. You will work in an international environment in the heart of Mannheim and benefit from our flexible working conditions as well as our extensive internal and external networks.
GESIS is an equal opportunity employer and adheres to disability regulations.
We are a family-friendly employer and have been certified by the audit Work&Family since 2010.
For further nformation concerning the tasks please contact contact person via phone 0621-1246-429 or via E-Mail. If you have questions about the application process, please contact Michalea Schwarzhaupt via E-Mail.
Our reference number is DBG-49.
You will find further information under www.gesis.org.