Research Associate (f/m/d) - IOER-RDC Geoinformatics
Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER), Dresden
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER) in Dresden is looking forward to fulfil the following position -subject to the final approval of the funding agency - with the condition of a fixed-term work contract for three years (according to the German law on fixed-term contracts in science – WissZeitVG and with the option of a permanent working contract) to be filled as of 01.01.2023:
Research Associate (f/m/d)
Applied Geoinformatics for Spatial Sustainability Sciences
TV-L, E 13, Full time with 40 working hours per week.
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development is a non-university research institute in the field of the spatial sciences and a member of the Leibniz- Association. Our subject is the sustainable development and transformation of cities and regions in the context of the global human-ecological crisis.
Sustainable land use and spatial structure are of particular importance in this context. The re-quirements for regenerative energy production, biodiversity promotion, economical and circular resource use, and climate resilience are increasingly coming into conflict with each other in limited spaces. To answer the related questions, small-scale data, analyses, simulations, scenarios and assessments are needed for research purposes and to support decision-making in various contexts.
Therefore, the Institute plans to establish an IOER Research Data Center (IOER-RDC) as of January 1, 2023, which will develop and provide digital information bases and tools for a sustainable land transition as well as transformative urban and regional development. At the same time, the profile of the institute aims to be strengthened in this forward-looking field of action at the interface between geoinformatics, spatial, environmental and sustainability research. The IOER-RDC will be operated as an integrated part within the framework of National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI) and the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC). It inaugurates on the established research data infrastructure of the IOER - the "Monitor of Settlement and Spatial Development (IOER Monitor)" - and connects all research areas of the institute in their data-oriented work.
The candidate of the advertised position is expected to contribute to contribute to the advancement of the core activities of the IOER-RDC by expansion of research data products, develop advanced methods of data collection and results visualization. The position is assigned to the above-mentioned research area and is part of an inter-disciplinary team that builds and operates the IOER Research Data Center.
Job Description/ Task/ Position specific background
Working Experience are expecting on the research data infrastructures (FDI) based on FAIR principles as well as comprehensive knowledge on their integration into national and international framworks - NFDI, EOSC. The job requires competencies inter-diciplinary topics of spatial sustainability science, geoinformatics, database management (SQL, NoSQL), programming APIs to Linked Data Services, data quality management, improving interoperability through user services, and establishing a Data Repository Software Solution.
Applicants are also expected to provide ideas and activities for the ongoing expansion of the data resources of the IOER Research Data Center. The developed methods and data sets are to be published promptly in relevant scientific journals. The position also includes training and supervision of scientists in the use of research data infrastructures and in the analysis of heterogeneous data sets.
Expected skills and competencies:
- Excellent Master's or diploma degree in geoinformatics or a related scientific discipline as well as a PhD in the field of "Spatial Information and Modelling"
- Experience with peer-reviewed publications and scientific project work
- Experience in organizing collaborative IT projects as well as linked data services and development of open eLearning platforms with a focus on spatial science
- Experience in presenting research results at national and international research conferences
- Experience and active participation in expert networks as well as monitoring of current trends in the fields of geospatial technology and standards (FAIR, CARE, TRUST), spatial data infrastructures and research data management (NFDI and EOSC)
- independent, structured and creative work, as well as a high degree of motivation
- distinct ability to work in a team and interdisciplinary competence
- German and English language skills (CEFR level C1 or higher)
We actively support researchers through qualification and career development measures, including continuous mentoring, as well as further training opportunities, e.g. with regard to scientific methods and publications.
We offer you:
- Collaboration in a highly motivated, interdisciplinary team in a leading research institute of the Leibniz Association
- flat hierarchies and opportunities for participation
- creative and motivating working environment
- lively social culture and diversity
- openness and trusting cooperation
- family justice and flexible working time models
- equal opportunities (multiple Total-E-Quality certification)
- career planning and further education opportunities
- sustainability management
- job ticket
- Additional protection through a company pension scheme (VBL)
The place of work is Dresden.
The IOER promotes professional equality between women and men as well as diversity, and is particularly committed to promote family life and professional career. Women are encouraged to apply. Applications are welcome from people with recognized disabilities.
Please send your application (letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, diplomas, certificates of employment or references) in the form of a single PDF file as an e-mail attachment, stating the keyword "IOER-RDC Geoinformatics" by 27.11.2022 to jobs(at)ioer.de or by post to:
Leibniz-Institut für ökologische Raumentwicklung e.V.
Personalbüro (Kennwort: IOER-RDC Geoinformatics)
Your application documents will not be returned, please do not submit original.