Research associate (m/f/d)
Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF), Müncheberg
The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society. ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and is located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
Within a third-party funded project, which is allocated to the working group Microbial Biogeochemistry, we want to develop a biological control system to regulate the pathogen causing ash dieback. This project is part of the FraxForFuture (FraxPath) network. The aim is to use microbial antagonists to make an efficient contribution to the control of the fungal pathogen Hymenoscyphus fraxineus, which threatens ash trees. Promising bacteria and fungi from a previous project will be genetically characterized and evaluated with regard to their inhibitory effect on H. fraxineus in field trials. The successful establishment of inoculation strains will be tested by real-time PCR using strain-specific primers/probes. The microbial strains are ultimately used in seed orchards to develop tolerant plants.
In the project "Optimization of the microbiota of vital ash genotypes to increase the resistance to H. fraxineus", we are offering a part-time position (65%), from 1.8.2020 limited for three years at the location Müncheberg
Research associate (m/f/d)
- Development of strain-specific real-time PCR systems based on genome sequences
- Detection and quantification of the inoculation strains and the fungal pathogen in ash leaves via real-time PCR
- Supervision of field trials/assessment of the effect of inoculations
- Genome analyses of antagonistic bacteria and microbiome studies of inoculated ash trees
- Use of multivariate statistics and genome annotation
- close cooperation and communication with the project partners
- Evaluation and publication of the results in both national practice-oriented and international scientific journals
- Presentation of the results in joint project meetings and at national and international scientific conferences
- Master of Science in microbiology, plant sciences or forestry
- Expertise in molecular techniques and classical microbiological approaches
- Knowledge/experience for the supervision of field trials
- A high degree of self-organisation and personal responsibility
- Communication skills (including German) and ability to work in a team
- Willingness to travel on business in Germany and abroad, and a desire for further training in new working techniques
- Driving licence at least for category B
- Willingness to carry out project work both within ZALF and with partners in the network
- An interdisciplinary working environment that encourages independence and self-reliance
- Salary according to the collective agreement of the federal states (TV-L) EG13 (including special annual payment)
- The opportunity to obtain a doctorate at the life science faculty of the Humboldt University of Berlin
- A collegial and open-minded working atmosphere in a dynamic research institution
- Family-friendly working conditions
- Participation in the ZALF-Graduate School with a variety of further education and networking opportunities
- Individual training opportunities for professional development
- Further training on project-related methods
- Networking and cooperation with the various project partners
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favored. Please send your application preferably by e-mail (one PDF file, max. 5 MB) with the usual documents, in particular CV, proof of qualification and certificates, stating the reference 49-2020 until July 15, 2020 to Bewerbungen(at)zalf.de.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Andreas Ulrich, Tel. +49 (0) 33432/82-345.
For cost reasons, application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached.
If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.
You can find further information at www.zalf.de/en/ueber_uns/Pages/Datenschutzerklaerung.aspx.