Research Associate/ Postdoc (m/f/d) - Holistic environmental assessment of sustainable development
Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER), Dresden
The Leibniz Institute for Ecological Spatial Development (IÖR) in Dresden offers the following post-doc position (employment according to WissZeitVG) for an initial term of 3 years as soon as possible:
Research Associate/ Postdoc (m/f/d)
"Holistic environmental assessment of sustainable development of the built environment in a situational context".
TV-L, E 13, full-time with 40 working hours per week.
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development is a non-university research center, and a member of the Leibniz-Gemeinschaft. Our subject is the sustainable development and transformation of cities and regions in the context of the global human-ecological crisis.
The research group "Anthropogenic and Natural Resources" within the research area "Built Environment - Resources and Environmental Risks" deals with questions concerning sustainability with a view to the use, development and materiality of the built environment. It focuses on spatial constellations of resource availability, supply, stock, and demand.
The advertised position shall actively help shape the described research field. Of central importance are issues of holistic analysis, modeling, and evaluation of approaches to sustainable development of the built environment in terms of resources, material-induced emissions, and material-induced land use change. A particular focus is on a circular development of resource flows in construction and the associated systemic change. This requires, among other things, an evaluation of materiality in spatial and, in particular, urban-regional contexts as well as integrated in transdisciplinary processes. Typology-based modeling approaches developed at the IOER provide a solid basis for this.
The position offers the possibility to develop a distinctive researcher profile based on the applicants particular strengths. This includes the conception of own projects and funding acquisition (esp. DFG and EU) for advanced basic and transdisciplinary research as well as related transfer processes. There is also the possibility of co-designing the research program of the research area.
Expected skills and competencies
- Excellent Master's or diploma degree in a relevant subject (e.g. architecture, civil engineering, material sciences, urban geography, physical geography, environmental sciences - interdisciplinary preferred).
- Excellent doctoral thesis in a relevant discipline (see above), and thus in-depth knowledge in pertinent fields of work for the research area
- Extensive experience in research fields such as urbanization, construction, circular economy or industrial ecology, as well as inter- and transdisciplinary competence;
- Own publications in pertinent subject areas (especially journal articles, book chapters, or conference papers).
- Ability to attract competitive research grants, to manage research projects and to coordinate and guide research teams (at IOER and within international research consortia) - already successful acquisition of third-party funds as well as an existing international network are an advantage
- Knowledge of quantitative and/or qualitative methods of environmental assessment such as MFA, LCA, Ecological Footprint
- Knowledge of digital design and modeling tools such as BIM and GIS is an advantage
- Strong teamwork and collaborative leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and to organize oneself
- Knowledge of English and German (preferably CEFR level C1 or higher)
We offer you
- Collaboration in a highly motivated, interdisciplinary team in a leading research institute of the Leibniz Association,
- Flat hierarchies, creative and motivating working environment
- Lively social culture, openness and trustful cooperation
- Family-friendly and flexible working time models
- Equal opportunities (multiple Total-E-Quality-certified)
- Long-term development prospects and further training opportunities
- Sustainability management
- Job ticket
The IOER promotes professional equality between women and men as well as diversity, and is particularly committed to reconciling family and professional life. Women are expressly encouraged to apply. Applications from recognised severely disabled people are welcome.
Place of work is Dresden.
Please send your application (letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, diplomas, references) in the form of a single PDF file as an e-mail attachment, quoting the keyword "ANR", by September 30, 2022 to jobs(at)ioer.de or by mail to:
Leibniz Institute for Ecological and Regional Development e.V.
Personnel Office (Password: ANR)
Weberplatz 1, 01217 Dresden
Your application documents will not be returned, please submit copies only.