Research Engineer in the field of Research Data Management (m/f/d)
German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB), Hannover
As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. With the Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG), we are working to revolutionise the exchange and use of scientific knowledge in the digital age.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Research Engineer in the field of Research Data Management (m/f/d)
to work in the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge of the TIB Research and Development department and the L3S Research Center under the supervision of Dr. Javad Chamanara and Prof. Dr. Sören Auer.
The position is initially limited to 2 years with envisioned extension. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is only suitable for part-time work to a limited extent. The remuneration is based on pay scale group 13 TV-L.
The position is part of the research project called Digital Approaches for the Synthesis of Poorly Accessible Biodiversity Information (DiASPora), funded by the Leibniz Association. You will work in this project to build a large-scale semantic data management platform for the field of bioinformatics. Your main activities include data cleansing, transformation, semantification/annotation, RDF-triple store construction and maintenance, and UI design, as well as REST API design and implementation.
Your competence area should be squarely rooted in computer science or related fields. You should be able to think creatively, grasp new knowledge quickly, be able to combine abstract reasoning with concrete problem solving and be interested in mastering complex challenges. Furthermore we expect:
- Successfully completed university degree (Master or comparable) in a relevant field of study, e. g. Computer Science, Mathematics or Information Science
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Proven team software development skills
- Solid experiences in using RDF and SPARQL for data modeling and querying
- Experiences in RML and R2RML mapping languages and semantic querying over RML
- Familiarity with ontologies and their applications, e. g., DataCube, SSN, FOAF, DCAT, etc.
- Familiarity with RDF stores such as GraphDB and Virtuoso
- Experiences in Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Semantic Technologies, and Web Engineering
Desirable additions to your profile
- Proficiency in German
- Experience in the development of controlled vocabularies and classifications, familiarity with SKOS
- Familiarity and interest in scientific data and meta-data management
- Knowledge of Research Data Management Tools and Services
- Experiences in ontology development, integration, and publishing
What we offer
In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to further your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. It is our vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world's leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- Financing for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- Work in the context of a national research and innovation project
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- A comprehensive and in-depth training
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work and remote work options
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A job in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 13 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment and 30 days of vacation per year
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Dr. Javad Chamanara by mail at Javad.Chamanara(at)tib.eu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application. To submit your application, please click here.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 23/2022 before May 20, 2022 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to bewerbung(at)tib.eu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
In the case of foreign university degrees, it is mandatory to submit a Statement of Comparability from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) for the final assessment of the hiring requirements during the hiring process (link for more information). A fee will be charged for this. This obligation does not apply if the foreign university degree has already been assessed by an expert and is listed in the ANABIN database of the ZAB as an equivalent university degree (link to ANABIN database).
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment. We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please indicate in the subject line of your application through which job board you became aware of our offer.
For more information about the TIB, please visit www.tib.eu/en/.