Research Engineer in the field of Research Data Management (m/f/d)
German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB), Hannover
The Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Research Engineer in the field of Research Data Management (m/f/d)
to work in the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science and Open Knowledge of the TIB Research and Development department and the L3S Research Center under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Sören Auer and Dr. Javad Chamanara.
The position is initially limited to three years with envisioned extension. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is only suitable for part-time work to a limited extent. The remuneration of the position is based on pay scale group 13 TV-L.
You will work in a team to build a large-scale semantic data management platform for the field of supply chain management in the semiconductor industry. It is a multi-national project funded by the European Union (EU) that involves many big industrial manufacturers aiming at semantifying their data under well-defined ontologies.
Your tasks will focus on
Your competence area should be squarely rooted in data science, ontology development and software engineering or related fields. You should be able to think creatively, grasp new knowledge quickly, be able to design and develop innovative software systems and be interested in mastering complex challenges.
The following qualifications are mandatory
- Successfully completed university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant field of study such as Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics or a comparable field of study
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Proven team software development skills
- Experiences in ontology development, alignment, integration and publishing
- Solid experiences in using RDF and SPARQL for data modelling and querying
- Familiarity with ontologies and their applications, e. g. DataCube, FOAF, DCAT, etc.
- Familiarity with RDF stores such as GraphDB and Virtuoso
- Experiences in Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Semantic Technologies and Web Engineering
Desirable qualifications are
- Proficiency in spoken and written German
- Experience in the development of controlled vocabularies and classifications
- Familiarity and interest in scientific data and meta-data management
- Knowledge of Research Data Management Tools and Services
- Knowledge of supply chain management processes and related concepts on schema.org
- Experiences in RML and R2RML mapping languages and semantic querying over RML
What we offer
In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to further your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. It is our vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world's leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- Financing for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including ORKG, OpenResearch.org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org and other
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- Comprehensive and intensive training in an interesting, varied and future-oriented field of activity
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life, such as mobile work, home office and remote work options
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A job in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 13 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment and 30 days of vacation per year
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to Dr. Javad Chamanara by mail at Chamanara(at)tib.eu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application. Please enclose a letter of recommendation and a motivational statement with your application. To submit your application, please click here.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 65/2020 before December 8, 2020 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to Bewerbung(at)tib.eu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature.
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
For more information about the TIB, please visit: