Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW)
The Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW) seeks applications for a position as
Research Intern (Political Economy)
in its research center “International Finance and Global Governance”. The paid internship starts on September 1st 2020, with a duration of 2-3 months. A part time internship is possible.
The intern will join the third-party project “Populism and economic upheavals since 1870”. Our re-search agenda in this project is ambitious, as we aim to create a new cross-country dataset on populist voting and use this to explore the political and economic determinants of populism rigorously.
The intern will be tasked with coding populist parties and rulers since 1900 on a comprehensive litera-ture archive. The central goal is to support the project by thoroughly identifying historical and con-temporary electoral breakthroughs of populist and non-populist actors.
We are looking for a candidate who meets the following criteria:
- Master’s or bachelor’s student in political science (with a strong quantitative focus), or students of other social science (including economics) with expertise in political science and quantitative political research
- Excellent academic record and very good grades
- Experience and interest in the research topics of our group, in particular political economy
- Very good knowledge in statistics and experience in using statistical software
- Very good English language skills required. German language skills are desirable
- Previous work experience in empirical research is desirable
The Kiel Institute is endeavored to increase the number of female interns. The Kiel Institute is commit-ted to give preference to people with disabilities over persons without disabilities if they are equally qualified.
Your application should include:
- A letter of interest
- CV including academic transcripts
- Proofs of relevant work experience.
Please submit your application via the application form on our website https://www.ifw-kiel.de/institute/working-at-the-kiel-institute/job-vacancies/ using ID-No.„06_20_Prakt_Populismus_01“. Please do not include a photo of yourself with your application. The deadline for applications is July 31st, 2020.
For questions regarding this position please contact Michael Bayerlein (email@example.com).