Research Systems Engineer (m/f/d)
Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT), Bremen
The Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) in Bremen is a member of the Leibniz Association, which is supported by the German Federal and State Governments. Through its research, ZMT contributes to developing strategies for sustainable use of tropical coastal systems.
Die Working Group Scientific Data Services is looking at the earliest possible date for a
Research Systems Engineer (m/f/d)
Part-time / Full-time
The position is to be filled for an indefinite period as soon as possible. The position is basically suitable for part-time work
(Kennziffer: 235 – DigiZ)
The Scientific Data Services Group supports ZMT scientists and partners with research data management, from planning to collection, analysis, publication and archiving of research data. The central task of the Research Systems Engineer is the development and maintenance of the technical infrastructure of the Scientific Data Services Group.
The Group maintains the DataLab (www.zmt-datalab.de), a platform for collaborative data analysis. The DataLab bridges scientific computing and shared analyses. Moreover, the Group provides a data storage service (DataCloud) for long-term storage of ZMT research data, and a database service (DataPortal) to make this research data visible. These services will be connected via data pipelines.
The Research Systems Engineer is expected to be responsible for reliable functioning of the hardware, software and network stacks of the Group’s digital products. Additionally, the Research System Engineer is expected to at the interface between infrastructure and scientific teams and provide some level of technical user support.
- Administration of the computing, networking, and data storage infrastructure for research data and scientific computing
- New and further development of the infrastructure components DataLab, DataCloud and DataPortal as well as relevant data pipelines
- New and further development of technical workflows for the provision, analysis and long-term preservation of scientific data
- Proactive needs analysis with the team and consulting on suitable software and technical data management solutions for the various application areas at the ZMT
- Master's degree in computer science, applied computer science subjects, in a natural science subject or comparable
- (Professional) experience in administration and development of Linux servers, heterogeneous networks as well as storage systems
- Experience in server virtualization management with VMWare or Proxmox
- Experience in software development with a focus on data management, database design, architecture, interfaces and/or integration (including mastery of relevant tools such as Git)
- Knowledge of common Linux operating systems, network protocols and network security
- Good German and English language skills
- Openness and experience in working in small dynamic teams
- Enthusiasm for technical challenges and working independently in communication with users
Good ability to communicate, especially with scientists with diverse disciplinary and cultural backgrounds
- Good knowledge of scripting languages such as Bash and Python to automate workflows
- Experience in the context of scientific computing (high performance computing or data science)
- Working knowledge of configuration management tools such as Ansible or Puppet, as well as container virtualization
- Scientific background in one of the disciplines represented at the ZMT, such as modeling, biology, geography, social sciences, and interest in topics related to marine tropical research
The position is to be filled as soon as possible on a permanent and full-time basis. In principle, it is also suitable for part-time work. The remuneration is based on qualifications and assigned tasks according to TV-L up to pay group (EG) 13.
For additional information please contact Dr. Birte Pfeiffer (birte.pfeiffer(at)leibniz-zmt.de).
- A dynamic, interdisciplinary and distinctly international research environment
- Interesting, versatile and demanding tasks
- Family-friendly working conditions with certification by the Work and Family Audit
- Varied health promotion measures
The ZMT offers a strongly international working environment, a high level of interdisciplinary research (ranging from applied mathematics and physics, to geoscience, ecology and social science), and a highly collaborative research philosophy. Bremen is a family and bicycle-friendly city with a rich cultural and scientific environment and proximity to a range of relevant collaborating institutes.
ZMT is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants with a migration background are welcome. Disabled persons with comparable qualification receive preferential status.
We will be happy to accept your documents without a photo. (*gender neutral)
Submission of application:
Please send your application, including a short motivation letter, copies of degrees, a complete CV, names with email addresses and telephone numbers of two personal references, by 31 August 2022 as a single pdf file with the reference number “235-DigiZ” to Ms. Lena Oehlmann (bewerbung(at)leibniz-zmt.de).
Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) GmbH, Fahrenheitstraße 6, D-28359 Bremen