Researcher in palaeobotany (f/m/d)
Museum für Naturkunde - Leibniz Institute for Research on Evolution and Biodiversity (MfN), Berlin
Our Mission: Discovering and describing life and earth - with people, through dialogue.
The Museum für Naturkunde - Leibniz Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity Science is an excellent and integrated research museum within the Leibniz Association. Its activities cover and tightly link the fields of collection-based research, development of collections and public engagement with science.
Researcher in palaeobotany (f/m/d)
Work schedule: Full-time
Duration: from 1.1.2021, initially for 24 months
Salary level: E 13 TV-L; This translates to a monthly gross salary level, ranging from 4002,26€ - 5798,14€, depending on qualification and experience of the candidate. In addition to the salary, the contract includes health care and social security benefits.
The Museum für Naturkunde Berlin provides an excellent research environment. It houses comprehensive and excellent palaeobotanical collections as well as an herbarium, state-of-the-art laboratories for palaeontological preparation, 3D-visualization (including its own CT scanner), histology, molecular genetics and computation. Numerous independent research groups are working in a wide range of research fields including palaeobiology, evolutionary biology and biodiversity research.
- Collection-based research with main focus in palaeobotany, preferably with interdisciplinary references to the respective research foci of the science programme Evolution and Geoprocesses at the MfN, such as biodiversity dynamics, evolutionary morphology and/or developmental biology/palaeontology; Integration of phylogenetic methods and botanical research is desirable
- The jobholder will be in charge of the supervision, as well as the strategic research development of the palaeobotany collection
- This includes the leadership of staff and of collection visitors
- Further tasks include engagement in grant applications as well as training and supervision of undergraduate and graduate students as well as postdocs
- An integration in the teaching of botanic courses at the Humboldt University Berlin is expected
(2 SWS; 1 SWS equals 45 minutes teaching time)
- Completed university education in a relevant field of biology or geosciences with research focus in palaeobotany, including an excellent dissertation in one of the named fields
- Own research agenda with profound collection-based research experience in palaeobotany (especially in taxonomy, morphology and phylogeny), palaeoecology and, if applicable, in botany
- Profound knowledge and research experience in palaeobotany, demonstrated by means of international publications
- Experience in maintaining and developing natural history collections
- Demonstrated experience in leading and supervising research projects
- Experience and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team, networking skills
- Intercultural competence, leadership skills
- Experience in the acquisition and management of third-party-funded scientific grants is desirable
- Teaching experience or contributions at the university level is desirable
- Excellent skills in German and English (spoken and written)
In support of equal rights applications from qualified women are particularly welcome. Handicapped individuals will be given preference in cases of identical qualifications.
For information on the application procedure, please contact recruiting(at)mfn.berlin.
By sending your application, you provide us with your information for the purpose of processing your application by the Museum für Naturkunde. Your data will be kept strictly confidential at all times. Once we have received your application documents, they will be entered into our database. Your data will be stored on our server. In doing so, we observe the provisions of the data protection laws.
The Museum für Naturkunde has set itself the goal of promoting a work-life balance and has been awarded the certificate berufundfamilie audit of berufundfamilie gGmbH - an initiative of the Hertie Foundation.
Further information can be found under https://www.museumfuernaturkunde.berlin/en/uber-uns/jobs-und-karriere/arbeiten-am-museum-fur-naturkunde/reconciling-work-and-family-life-audit.