Scientific Data Curator (m/f/d)
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main
For more than 200 years, the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries conduct research across 11 locations in Germany in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis, and climate change.
The Senckenberg Biodiversity Information Unit invites applications for a
Scientific Data Curator (m/f/d)
We are seeking a data curator to manage the data.portal at Senckenberg, and to contribute to further development of SGN’s collection management system SeSam and to organize data flow to open-access databases (GBIF and OBIS). The successful applicant will establish and manage the data.portal database, archive metadata related to research data management plans and Nagoya documentation, define and maintain data standards for Senckenberg scientists, support researchers to format data according to standards and publish them on data.portal, SeSam, and open portals.
- Curate research metadata (data management plans and Nagoya) at data.portal
- Data processing, transformation into standard formats and data quality control
- Support SGN scientists in setting up data management plans and contribute to data archiving (with respect to FAIR data principles)
- Support digitising the natural collections and their attached data based on biodiversity standards, and submit them to SeSam as well as open-portals such as GBIF and OBIS
- Representing Senckenberg in international standardisation efforts such as CETAF, DiSSCo, and TDWG
Ideally you convince us with
- an academic degree in bioinformatics, data science, or related fields of research
- knowledge of data management plans and their implementation (international and national levels)
- experience in working and designing databases, e.g. MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, SQLite
- knowledge on standards (MIDS) for geo-biodiversity data and digitisation processes of natural history collections
- excellent written and oral communication skills in German and English
- the capacity to collaborate effectively within a large and heterogenous team of IT developers, biologists, and geoscientists.
What is awaiting you?
- An attractive and challenging position in a research institution of international standing
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Hesse (TV-H).
- Flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – annual leave of 30 days – discounted job-ticket for public transportation in the Rhein-Main area
Place of employment: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Volume of employment: full-time position (40 hours/week)
Contract type : initially limited for 2 years, with a possible extension
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung supports equal opportunity and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents (CV, certificates, transcripts and credentials, references, letter of motivation), mentioning the reference #01-21025 until October 17th, 2021 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information on the field of activity, please contact Dr. Hanieh Saeedi, hanieh.saeedi(at)senckenberg.de.