13.12.2021

Scientific employee (m/f/d)

Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt am Main

The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) was founded in 1817 and is one of the most important research institutions around biological diversity. At the eleven sites throughout Germany, scientists from almost 40 nations conduct cutting-edge research on an international level. At the site in Dresden, the capital of Saxony, the Senckenberg Natural History Collections are located in a historic city with a wide range of cultural activities and excellent research collaborations. 

The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung, headquartered in Frankfurt am Main, is looking for the following person for the institute "Senckenberg Natural History Collections Dresden" (SNSD) in Dresden.

Scientific employee (m/f/d)

in the field of Bioinformatics with IT responsibility

(Full-time position)

The share of scientific work amounts to approx. 60% of the job scope. The remaining 40% of the job scope is accounted for services in the IT area.

These are your challenges:

  • Research in geobiodiversity, genomics, molecular phylogeny or phylogeography, in combination with related topics such as evolution or conservation genetics
  • Close cooperation with research groups on site as well as bioinformatics working groups at all locations of the Senckenberg Society
  • Willingness to take on cross-cutting tasks in the SNSD (e.g. participation in institutional and external committees, open days, etc.)
  • Responsibility for the entire IT and data management of the institute (for the fields of geosciences and zoology), incl. coordination with other Senckenberg sites and external IT service providers
  • On-site IT service with responsibility for hardware and software (PCs, switches, servers and all peripherals), trouble shooting
  • Collaboration in the IT user advisory board, or participation in the strategic development of SGN-IT
  • Close cooperation with the IT department at our headquarters in Frankfurt and other Senckenberg sites

Your profile:

  • Successfully completed university studies and doctorate in the field of biology, bioinformatics, or a related discipline
  • Internationally visible research and publication activity
  • Extensive knowledge and experience with Linux and programming languages (Python, R and similar)
  • Experience in the use of a wide range of current software applications and data storage media for geobiodiversity research
  • Willingness to participate in interdisciplinary work
  • Experience in attracting external funding
  • Very good knowledge of German and English, both written and spoken
  • Flexibility and ability to work in a team, communication and organisational skills
  • A high degree of commitment, initiative, willingness and sense of responsibility are required

What to expect:

  • An attractive, responsible and challenging position in a globally recognized research institution with motivated and professional colleagues
  • Flexible working hours - family-friendly working conditions (certified by the "audit berufundfamilie") - open and collegial environment – Senckenberg badge in connection with free admission to all Senckenberg museums – special annual payment (according to TV-L) - company pension scheme

Location: Dresden

Scope of Employment: Full-time position (40 hours/week)

Contract Type: Initially fixed term for a period of two years; A removal of the limitation is aimed at

Remuneration: EG 13 according to the German collective agreement of the federal states (TV-L)

Severely disabled applicants will be given special preference in the event of equal suitability. The Senckenberg Research Institutes support equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Compliance with the regulations of the law on part-time work is guaranteed. Senckenberg is certified by the "audit berufundfamilie".

You would like to apply?

Pease submit your complete application documents (letter of motivation with a brief description of your previous research interests, curriculum vitae, academic training certificates as well as (work) references) in electronic form (as one coherent PDF file) to recruiting(at)senckenberg.de by 21.1.2022, quoting the reference number #07-21002, or apply directly on our homepage www.senckenberg.de/de/karriere/bewerbung/ via the online application form.

www.senckenberg.de