Scientist - Data Portal for Soil Research Data (m/f/d)
Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF), Müncheberg
The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society. ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and is located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
In the framework of the research program „Soils as Sustainable Resource for the Bioeconomy - BonaRes“ launched by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research the coordinating project „BonaRes - Centre for Soil Research“ is funded for a planned period of 9 years since 2015 (www.bonares.de). Aims of this project are the provision of soil related data in standardized form, the development of integrative model tools to evaluate land use options with regards to sustainable development, and to develop a web-based portal for knowledge-based options for farming strategies and soil use management. To face these challenges, an interdisciplinary group of scientists has been established.
We are offering a full-time position at our location in Müncheberg as
Scientist - Data Portal for Soil Research Data (f/m/d)
As part of the Data Centre team you are responsible for further development and maintenance of the BonaRes Repository. You develop standardized web services and web applications for visualization, navigation, search and download of data/geodata and metadata as part of an international data infrastructure. You are responsible for the implementation of in-house developments, the use of standard components and the awarding of contracts to software and coordination of externally outsourced software development assignments. You participate in the compilation of data standards relevant for BonaRes and you implement the appropriate standards at the BonaRes Repository. You document your work in research reports, scientific publications and presentations of research results as well as in the inhouse documentation system.
- University degree in computer science or another relevant discipline, preferably with PhD
- professional experience with development and maintenance of data infrastructures especially with MS SQL Server and ArcGIS Server on Windows systems
- good knowledge of actual concepts of semantic web, information retrieval, navigation, user interfaces, RESTful services
- experience with provision and visualization of research data, especially of time-series and geodata, from soil sciences, agricultural sciences, geosciences or biosciences
- high degree of personal initiative, excellent communication and teamwork skills in an interdisciplinary environment
- proficiency in English and German (written and spoken)
- an interdisciplinary working environment that encourages independence and self-reliance
- classification according to the collective agreement of the federal states (TV-L) up to level 14 (depending on qualification) and including special annual payment
- a collegial and open-minded working atmosphere in a dynamic research institution
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favored. The full-time position will start 1.1.2021 and is planned for a period of 3.5 years. The position is financed from the budget and is initially limited until the end of the current funding phase of the project (31.8.2021). It is generally possible to work in the position on a part-time basis.
Please send your application preferably by e-mail (one PDF file, max. 5 MB) with the usual documents, in particular CV, proof of qualification and certificates, stating the reference number 75-2020 until November 8th, 2020 to Bewerbungen(at)zalf.de.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Uwe Heinrich (uheinrich(at)zalf.de), Tel. +49 (0) 33432/82-158.
For cost reasons, application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached.
If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.
You can find further information at www.zalf.de/en/ueber_uns/Pages/Datenschutzerklaerung.aspx.