Scientist (m/f/d) (100%) for the research field „Assessment of climate efficiency“
Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy (ATB), Potsdam
The Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy is a pioneer and a driver of bioeconomy research. We create the scientific foundation to transform agricultural, food, industrial and energy systems into a comprehensive bio-based circular economy. We develop and integrate techniques, processes and management strategies, effectively converging technologies to intelligently crosslink highly diverse bioeconomic production systems and to control them in a knowledge-based, adaptive and largely automated manner. We conduct research in dialogue with society - knowledge-motivated and application-inspired.
Subject to the approval of funds, as part of the project "Knowledge-based precision crop production in a mixed farm (DigiMix)” the following position is to be filled as of October 1st, 2022
Scientist (m/f/d) (100 %)
for the research field „Assessment of climate efficiency“.
The objective of the collaborative project is to test, investigate and demonstrate a digitalised process chain for knowledge-based and site-specific crop production in a mixed farm in Brandenburg. The successful applicant will measure soil-borne greenhouse gas fluxes in an on-farm experiment at the Leibniz Innovation Farm and analyse net greenhouse gas emissions for site-specific mineral and organic fertilisation. The position is assigned to the research group “Bioeconomic system modelling” in the department “Technology Assessment and substance cycles” in close cooperation with the department “Engineering for crop production” at ATB and the external partners Technische Universität Berlin, University of Potsdam and German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ).
- Organising, executing and evaluating an on-farm field experiment including gas and soil sampling and analyses
- Modelling and analysis of greenhouse gas emissions across the process chain of crop production
- Presentation of project results at scientific conferences and stakeholder meetings
- Writing project reports and scientific publications
- Very good university degree in the fields of agricultural or environmental sciences or related subjects (Diploma or Master of Science)
- Knowledge and experience or willingness to become familiar with methods, in particular measuring gas fluxes in the field and life cycle assessment
- Willingness to learn scientific software development with Python, first experience in programming is an advantage
- Knowledge in statistical data analysis
- High interest in interdisciplinary cooperation at the interface of agronomy and digital technologies
- Very good written and spoken English skills, German is an advantage
- Ability to work in a team and willingness to cooperate, reliability, flexibility, personal commitment and independent work
- European Driving license class B is an advantage
- An attractive, interdisciplinary working environment in a team of experienced and young scientists and technicians
- Excellent infrastructure for carrying out scientific work
- Opportunity to do a doctorate within the project including the possibility to participate in structured doctoral programs
- Access to national and international networks for your scientific career
- Family-friendly working conditions that promote the compatibility of work and family life
- Company-owned electric bicycles for business trips
- Participation on the VBB company ticket
- Our institute is located on the edge of a picturesque park-like landscape and is easy to reach by public transport or by bike
The full-time position (100%) is limited until September 30th, 2025. An extension for a further two years is possible subject to the approval of the requested funding.
This vacancy is subject to project approval.
The salary is based on your qualification and professional experience according to TV-L up to salary group 13.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Annette Prochnow (aprochnow(at)atb-potsdam.de).
If you would like to contribute your professional competence to our interdisciplinary research, please apply by the following deadline August 20th, 2022 using ATB’s online application form for the job advertisement, code 2022-2-5, at https://www.atb-potsdam.de/en/career/vacancies. Applications received after the application deadline cannot be considered.
Equality of opportunity is part of our personnel policy. Disabled applicants with adequate qualification will be preferentially considered.
By submitting an application, you agree that your job application documents will be stored for a period of six months, even in the case of an unsuccessful application. Further information on the processing, storage and protection of your personal data can be found at https://www.atb-potsdam.de/en/services/data-protection-declaration-for-the-application-process.