Scientist (PhD candidate) (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy (ATB), Potsdam
The Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy (ATB) researches at the interface of biological and technical systems at national and international level. ATB research spans from basic research to application and is aimed at sustainable intensification. Research activities include conceptualising, analysing, modelling and evaluation of bio-economic production systems. ATB develops and integrates new technologies and management strategies for a knowledge-based, site-specific production of biomass, and its use for food, feed and as raw materials and bio-fuels. ATB contributes to food security, animal welfare, the holistic use of biomass, and to the protection of climate and environment.
We are seeking - subject to final budget approval for a granted project - for a
Scientist (PhD candidate) (m/f/d)
(65%) for the topic Modelling of Sustainable Dairy Production Systems for Key European Areas, for three years, starting in December 2019.
ATB coordinates a project funded under the EraNet Joint Call 2018. Ten European partners will develop a whole systems concept for three pillar sustainable dairy production systems targeted to key European regions. Greenhouse gas mitigation is a core aim accompanied by other environmental impacts, and analysis of economic and social factors. Dairy production is the sector in agriculture where region-specific concepts are most prominently required. European regions are highly diverse and complex, no “one size fits all”-solution is available. The PhD will focus on sustainability assessment of dairy production systems in key European regions. It will be done on close collaboration with the Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) with research stays at Leioa (Bizkaia, Spain).
- Model sustainability of dairy production systems in key European regions
- Farm data collection on case study farms
- Refinement of existing dairy farm systems mathematical models
- Data analysis and processing, including statistical analysis, research data management
- Publish results in peer-reviewed journals
- Contribute to overall project activities: collaborate with European partners, support project management tasks, support project dissemination activities.
Your professional qualification profile:
- University Master degree in natural sciences or related engineering disciplines
- Knowledge in European livestock systems, LCA methodology
- Data collection, data management, data exchange
- Computer applications: knowledge of modelling and analytical software packages as well as of model verification, sensitivity analyses and parameter studies, MS Office applications
- Experiences in project management are welcome
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Independent, self-responsible, reliable and result-oriented way of working
- Ability to analyse complex data and situations
- Team spirit, ability to cooperate, flexibility, commitment, ability to work under pressure, reliability
- Willingness to travel, valid driving license for use in Europe (min. category B) is welcome
- Cross-cultural competence
- Willingness to do a PhD
- Your participation in a transnational, excellent project consortium
- Excellent infrastructure for carrying out scientific work
- Attractive, interdisciplinary working environment and very good conditions to develop your own scientific career and your network
- Experienced international supervisory team for your PhD studies, and access to sophisticated university PhD programmes
- Working conditions conducive to reconciling work and family life
The salary is based on your qualification and professional experience according to TV-L E13.
This part-time position (65%) is limited to three years, based on the duration of the project, and supposed to start on December 1st, 2019.
Further information can be obtained from Prof. UZ PD Dr. Barbara Amon (e-Mail: bamon(at)atb-potsdam.de).
If you would like to participate in our interdisciplinary research, please apply until September 23rd, 2019 by e-mail (if possible one PDF document; max. 5 MB), quoting the reference number 2019-2-6 under karriere(at)atb-potsdam.de.
Equality of opportunity is part of our personnel policy. Disabled applicants with adequate qualification will be preferentially considered.
With your application for employment you declare your agreement to store your application documents for at least three months even in case of an unsuccessful candidacy.