Semantic Information Architect & Developer (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute for Psychology (ZPID), Trier
Become part of the open science movement
The Leibniz Institute for Psychology Information (ZPID) in Trier (Germany) is an internationally renowned research support organization in psychology and a member of the prestigious Leibniz Association.
To fulfill the ever-increasing research infrastructure needs expressed by researchers and psychology professionals, ZPID is in the process of strategic expansion directed at meeting these needs to become psychology’s one-stop research service center. Current as well as future ZPID research areas and services are based on and guided by the values of open science and open innovation.
Join the growing ZPID team at the forefront of the open science movement! Current opening
Semantic Information Architect & Developer (m/f/d)
(salary group TV-L E13, 100%, initially limited for 4 years, fixed-term to permanent employment option)
Preferred start date is August 1st, 2021 or later.
Duties and functions:
The successful applicant is expected to contribute to development of existing and new semantic products at ZPID, mainly by guiding staff in the development of a modern information architecture, as well as programming and implementing parts of such architectures. The main focus will be general advisory on efficient workflows in upcoming semantic data creation and curation, workflow support on current data structures and transfers, the alignment of PSYNDEX II with PsychPorta, and contribution to the back end development of PSYNDEX II and PsychPorta.
General advisory on efficient workflows in semantic data creation and curation as well as enhancing user experience (e.g. automation of manual tasks, usability testing) will strengthen the focus of ZPID’s Information Services Department on psychological content. You will advise on workflows and efficiency potentials and implement IT solutions to support these efforts.
PSYNDEX II is a triple-based, knowledge-graph-backed database for referencing psychological literature, tests and other relevant information in psychology. You will contribute to the technical design and programming of the backend system used to curate this database within a development team.
PsychPorta is a semantic search engine for triple-based information, mainly from PSYNDEX II, as well as data from external bibliographic databases and several other ZPID products (e.g. PsychArchives, PsychOpen CAMA). Aim and scope is to create a data warehouse to access these different types of information at a single source, allowing a semantic view on the available information (e.g. papers, authors, research topics). The system will closely integrate with knowledge graphs/ontologies. You will contribute to the technical design and programming of the backend system used in PsychPorta within a development team.
The publication of results originating from your development and conceptual work is expected.
You will collaborate closely with a team of psychologists, the team leader of ZPID's Information Services Department, cooperate with computer scientists and information specialists, and participate in the full life cycle of development, including technical design of whole products, coding, testing, rollout and empirical evaluation of the final products.
- Master’s degree or higher in computer science, information science, software engineering or a related discipline
- Solid understanding of knowledge modeling as well as knowledge graphs and associated software tools
- Solid understanding of semantic technologies and standards, e.g. RDF, SKOS, SPARQL
- Knowledge in search engine technology, e.g. Solr/Lucene, ElasticSearch, Jena or Virtuoso is a plus
- Knowledge in text automation/processing pipeline projects is a plus
- An open mind to relate to the requirements of psychological and technical staff, with the confidence to make own suggestions on improvements of software architectures and workflows
- Independent working style
- Project management skills
- Good communications skills and the ability to explain technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Good command of written and spoken German and English
- Fluency in Java (possibly relevant for search engine back end) is a plus
- Knowledge of package management und code versioning (Git)
- Basic proficiency with the Linux and Unix command line
For further information, please contact Roland Ramthun via rr(at)leibniz-psychology.org.
In order to apply, please register with our online portal here.
and upload the following documents (until June 30, 2021):
- Cover letter addressing the motivation for the application and the selection criteria
- Relevant certificates of degree(s)
- optional: Names, affiliations and e-mail addresses of potential reference contacts
Please submit your application documents in German language.
ZPID is committed to equal opportunities in employment and, in particular, to increasing the number of women in academic positions, where they are currently underrepresented.
We comply with guidelines regarding laws and regulations governing part-time employment. Among equally qualified applicants, candidates belonging to disadvantaged groups will be given preference. We are a family-friendly employer and have been certified by the audit Work & Family.
Please note that online applications will only be accepted until 6/30/2021 via the following URL https://leibniz-psychology.jobbase.io/apply/zd21qxs7eprkveanneutiddyvg6g9wa