Senior Researcher (f/m/d)
Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER), Dresden
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development e.V. (IOER) in Dresden advertises the following position as a fixed-term work contract for three years (according to the German law on fixed-term contracts in science – WissZeitVG):
Senior Researcher (f/m/d)
Governance of spatial sustainability transformation
(TV-L E 14, Full time 40 hours per week)
Start: at the earliest possible date
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER) in Dresden is a non-university research center, and a member of the Leibniz Association. We investigate the characteristics, dynamics and governance of spatial sustainability transformations and their acceleration in the context of the global human-ecological crisis. The advertised position is allocated to the research area "Sustainability Transitions in Cities and Regions".
A deep and just transformation to sustainable ways of living and working that respect the biophysical boundaries of our planet is the key challenge for humanity in the 21st century. While different scientific schools have investigated the characteristics, dynamics and governance of socio-technical, social-ecological and socio-institutional transformations, their spatial implications remain underexplored both theoretically and empirically. Addressing this research gap requires an inter- and transdisciplinary perspective and co-productive research designs in order to better understand how transformative change in cities and regions worldwide can be initiated and navigated towards sustainability.
- Collaboration in building up and profiling the IOER research area on "Sustainability Transitions in Cities and Regions" with a focus on the governance of transformation dynamics and their spatial implications
- Articulating interdisciplinary linkages across the IOER research areas by connecting spatial transformation research to other relevant strands (e.g. planning, post-growth, economy for the common good, regional innovation, nature-based solutions)
- Preparation of research project proposals at national, European and international level (e.g. DFG, Horizon Europe, Belmont Forum)
- Elaboration of journal and conference papers in collaboration with the IOER research team and international partners
- Exploration and test of methodological innovations in knowledge co-production through transdisciplinary and transformative research settings (e.g. experiments, real world laboratories, living labs)
- Collaboration with IOER non-academic partners (i.e. public administration and policy, civil society, business, cultural institutions), especially building on and intensifying the trustful cooperation with local partners like the City of Dresden
- Support in communicating and disseminating research outputs and outcomes to diverse audiences inside and outside the academic sector
- Collaboration in conceptualizing and implementing high level events of the IOER (e.g. the IOER annual conference 2021 'Space & Transformation')
- Collaborating with the Technische Universität Dresden in the frame of projects, publications, events and the regional excellence initiative "Dresden Concept"
- Education of next generation researchers through innovative analogue and digital teaching formats in the context of the Dresden Leibniz Graduate School operated by the IOER and the Technische Universität Dresden, or other graduate programs
Expected skills and competencies
- Excellent university degree (Master, Diploma) in any pertinent field
- Excellent dissertation (Ph.D.) in social sciences and/or urban/regional/spatial studies, sustainability sciences or transition studies, including any pertinent intersections with other fields
- Strong research interest and experience in sustainability transition studies, in particular drawing on socio-technical and/or social-ecological systems and/or socio-institutional approaches
- Significant international publication record in the field, as documented by own publications
- Solid skills regarding diverse methods of empirical social research; experience in doing transdisciplinary or transformative research would be an asset
- Ability to attract competitive research grants, to manage research projects and to coordinate and guide research teams at IOER and within international research consortia
- Sound team working and collaborative leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and to self-organize
- Proven organization, communication and moderation skills inside and outside the academic sector (e.g. public sector, private sector, third sector, civil society)
- English language proficiency (CEFR level C1 or higher) – German language proficiency would be an asset
Employment at IOER
The selected candidate will be interacting in a highly interdisciplinary environment. She/he will be fully integrated into the research area "Sustainability Transitions in Cities and Regions" and work in close coordination with the head and senior researchers of the research area, as well as the director of IOER. Further scientific qualification during the employment period is strongly encouraged. We actively support Post-Doc researchers through tailored skill and career development measures, including continuous mentoring, as well as training opportunities e.g. regarding scientific methods and publishing.
What we offer:
- Collaboration in a highly qualified interdisciplinary team at a leading research institute of the Leibniz Association
- Flat hierarchies and a creative and motivating working environment
- Vivid social culture, openness and trusted cooperation
- Family support and flexible working schedules
- Equal opportunities (Total-E-Quality certified)
- Career planning and training opportunities
- Jobticket for public transport
The place of work is Dresden.
We particularly encourage applications of women. Applications of disabled persons with a comparable qualification will be considered by priority.
Please submit your complete application documents (motivation letter, CV, diplomas, job references, references and important qualifications for further training) by using the keyword "Transformation" by July 15, 2020 to jobs(at)ioer.de or by regular mail:
Leibniz-Institut für ökologische Raumentwicklung e.V.
Personalbüro (keyword: Transformation)
Please note that we will not be able to return your application dossier.