Senior Researcher / PostDoc (w/m/d)
Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER), Dresden
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER) in Dresden is looking forward to fulfil the following position to be filled as soon as possible
Senior Researcher / PostDoc (w/m/d)
Biodiversity promotion through Spatial Data Science and sustainable landscape transformations
TV-L E 13, Full time with 40 working hours per week,
fixed-term work contract for three years (according to the German law on fixed-term contracts in science – WissZeitVG) with the option of a permanent working contract)
The Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development is a non-university research institute in the field of the spatial sciences and a member of the Leibniz- Association. Our subject is the sustainable development and transformation of cities and regions in the context of the global human-ecological crisis.
Demands for biodiversity promotion, renewable energy production, as well as economical and circular resource use and climate resilience are also increasingly coming into conflict with each other in limited spaces. To answer the related questions, small-scale data, analyses, simulations, scenarios and assessments as well as cross-scale approaches are needed for research purposes and to support decision-making in various contexts. This is why the IOER currently develops an integrated IOER Research Data Centre (IOER-FDZ), building on its established research data infrastructure "Monitor of Settlement and Spatial Development (IOER Monitor)".
The advertised position is to contribute to developing advanced methods of data collection, analysis, interpretation and result visualisation, and to complementing research data sets. The position is assigned to the research area "Landscape, Ecosystems and Biodiversity" and works in a cross-departmental team that is building up the IÖR-FDZ.
Job Description/ Task/ Position specific background
In order to achieve a sustainable transformation of landscapes, factors such as biodiversity, agriculture and forestry, urbanisation, resource consumption and energy production, changing land use, demography as well as changing ideas of environmental protection and nature conservation are examined in a national framework as well as in an international comparative context. Their effects for landscape transformation, and for the protection and development of ecosystem and biodiversity habitats will be investigated and presented.
The new or further development of relevant indicators requires competences in spatial research (e.g. geography, planning or regional sciences, ecology and biodiversity as well as in geoinformatics). The indicators should serve to record, analyse and evaluate landscape transformations and their implications for ecosystems and particularly biodiversity. The results of the research should contribute to a broad societal debate on appropriate strategies and instruments as well as effective levers for a sustainable transformation of landscapes, ecosystems and for the protection and regeneration of biodiversity.
Applicants are also expected to provide ideas and activities for the ongoing expansion of the tools and datasets of the IOER Research Data Centre. The developed research results, indicators and data sets are to be published promptly in relevant scientific journals.
Expected skills and competencies
- Very good university degree (Master, Diploma) in biology/ecology, geography, geoinformatics, landscape planning, or a neighbouring scientific discipline (of environmental or sustainability sciences) as well as a doctorate in a relevant research field
- Experience with own peer-reviewed publications
- Experience in obtaining research funding and in scientific project work
- Fundamental knowledge of Spatial Data Science, especially Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing and spatial statistics
- Expertise in landscape, ecosystems and, in particular, biodiversity
- Experience in presenting research results at national and international research conferences
- Independent, structured and creative work, as well as a high level of motivation
- Strong teamwork and interdisciplinary skills
- Knowledge of German (CEFR level A1 or higher) and English (CEFR level C1 or higher)
We actively support researchers through qualification and career development measures, including continuous mentoring, as well as further training opportunities, e.g. with regard to scientific methods and publications.
- Collaboration in a highly motivated, interdisciplinary team in a leading research institute of the Leibniz Association
- flat hierarchies and opportunities for participation
- creative and motivating working environment
- lively social culture and diversity
- openness and trusting cooperation
- family justice and flexible working time models
- equal opportunities (multiple Total-E-Quality certification)
- career planning and further education opportunities
- sustainability management
- job ticket/Deutschlandticket
- additional protection through a company pension scheme (VBL)
The place of work is Dresden.
The IOER promotes professional equality between women and men as well as diversity, and is particularly committed to promote family life and professional career. Women are encouraged to apply. Applications are welcome from people with recognized disabilities.
Please send your application (letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, diplomas, certificates of employment or references) in the form of a single PDF file as an e-mail attachment, stating the keyword "FDZ-FBL SeniorR" by 03/04/2023 to jobs(at)ioer.de.