Senior Systems Architect for Terminology and Ontology Systems (m/f/d)
German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB), Hannover
The National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI) is an outstanding infrastructure initiative for the scientific communities in Germany with the aim to harness the great potential of research data as a valuable resource for science and research. The following position will be placed within this network.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) - Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology - Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Senior Systems Architect for Terminology and Ontology Systems (m/f/d)
to start in the IT development department at the earliest possible date.
The position is initially limited to five years with envisioned transformation into a permanent position. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is only suitable for part-time work to a limited extent. The remuneration of the position is based on pay scale group 14 TV-L.
The TIB is involved in three NFDI consortia: the Chemistry Consortium (NFDI4Chem), the Consortium for Research Data on Material and Immaterial Cultural Heritage (NFDI4Culture) and the National Research Data Infrastructure for Engineering Sciences (NFDI4Ing). The aim is to make the previously decentralized scientific and research data for the German scientific system findable, accessible, interoperable and reusable in the future.
Your tasks will focus on
- Lead development of a terminology platform for processing, curation and access to terminologies and ontologies for technical workflows in NFDI
- Establishment and coordination of a cross-project development team
- Coordination of the development work for the components of the terminology platform, in particular within the framework of community open source projects (WebProtégé, GitLab, OLS)
- Technical support for projects using the terminology platform and assistance with the integration of terminology and ontologies in specialized applications
- Optimization of platform operation and maintenance through automation with CI/CD
Your competence area should be squarely rooted in data science, ontology and software engineering or related fields. You should be able to think creatively, grasp new knowledge quickly, be able to design and develop innovative software systems and be interested in mastering complex challenges.
- Successfully completed university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant field of study such as Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics or comparable field of study
- At least five years of relevant professional experience, including project coordination
- Excellent knowledge of Semantic Web technologies, ontology development and data management
- Excellent project management skills
- Familiarity with Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics or Digital Libraries is an asset
- Experience in leading a development team is an advantage
- Knowledge of tools and services for the management of research data
What we offer
In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to further your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many opportunities. It is our vision to rethink the representation and provision of data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world's leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
- Funding for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- Work in the context of a national research and innovation project
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including ORKG, OpenResearch.org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org and other
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- Comprehensive and intensive training in an interesting, varied and future-oriented field of activity
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life, such as mobile work, home office and remote work options
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A salary in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 14 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment and 30 days of vacation per year
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to the director of TIB, Prof. Dr. Sören Auer (auer(at)tib.eu).
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application. To submit your application, please click here.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 56/2020 before November 12, 2020 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to bewerbung(at)tib.eu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life. It wants to promote equal career opportunities for women and men in particular and therefore urges qualified women to apply.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
For more information about the TIB, please visit www.tib.eu/en/.