Software Developer (m/f/d)
GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, Mannheim
GESIS – Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences is an internationally active research institute, funded by federal and state governments and member of the Leibniz Association.
For the next possible date our Department Knowledge Technologies for the Social Sciences (WTS), Team Data & Services Engineering, located in Cologne, is looking for a
Software Developer (m/f/d)
(Salary group 11 TV-L, working time 100%, limited to 24 months)
The department Knowledge Technologies for Social Sciences (WTS) develops novel web portals and platforms for the search and use of research data, based on a state-of-the-art software stack and innovative research-based technologies at the intersection of Information Extraction/NLP, Knowledge Graphs, Information Retrieval and Human-Machine Interaction.
In the context of the DFG funded projects OUTCITE (Reference Understanding in the Social Sciences) and VADIS (VAriable Detection, Interlinking and Summarization), WTS researches and develops innovative services with the goal to extract, categorize and match citation data from PDF files and integrate the data in the research infrastructure of GESIS.
Your tasks will be:
- development of software services to improve the reusability and interoperability of research data, especially through extraction, categorization and matching of specific entities with open APIs (like Open Citations - http://opencitations.net/ and Wikidata) for standardized data exchange
- technical modeling and implementation along use cases
- full-stack implementation with current Java technologies, e.g. Spring Boot, Angular
- integration and co-development of innovations from WTS research, e.g. tools for data linking and data access
- continuous exchange with the project teams
- documentation of project results
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related fields
- sound experience in software development with Java, Web and XML technologies, database and search technologies (esp. ElasticSearch); knowledge of Linux server administration and virtualization using Docker
- solid knowledge of web standards
- good knowledge of written and spoken English, knowledge of German desirable
- experience with technologies such as knowledge graphs, machine learning or natural language processing is desirable.
GESIS offers an exciting work environment for interdisciplinary research at the interface between the social sciences and computer science. As an infrastructure institution, we promote social science research and cooperate with renowned international research institutes.
GESIS supports your career development. We offer a wide range of career opportunities in an attractive and rewarding work environment that allows you to carry out your tasks in a creative and autonomous manner. You will work in an international environment in the heart of Cologne and benefit from our flexible working conditions as well as our extensive internal and external networks.
GESIS is an equal opportunity employer and adheres to disability regulations. The position can also be filled on a part time basis.
We are a family-friendly employer and have been certified by the audit Work&Family since 2010.
You will find further information here.
For further information concerning the tasks please contact Dr. Philipp Mayr via phone +49 (0221) 47694 - 533 or via E-Mail. If you have questions about the application process, please contact Anna Klein via E-Mail.
Have we aroused your interest?
Please apply via our Online-application portal until 14.05.2021.
Our reference number is: WTS-87
For further information please visit: www.gesis.org/home.