Student Assistant position CERES (m/f/d)
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)
The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable development. It is one of the world's leading research institutions in its field and offers natural and social scientists from around the world an inspiring environment for excellent interdisciplinary research.
To strengthen its research capacity in causal climate policy evaluation in the newly established FutureLab “CERES: Political Economy for Inclusive Wealth Governance and Sustainability”, PIK is offering a
Student Assistant position CERES (m/f/d), (Position number: 19-2023 SHK CERES)
in the field of research support, starting as soon as possible.
The position is initially limited to 6 months, extension of the contract is possible and desirable. The renumeration is calculated according to the requiremenst of the TdL. The current hourly rate for a student assistant with a Bachelor's degree is 12,72 €. This is a part-time position with a weekly working time of 10-20 hours.
- Get involved with programming, statistical modelling, and causal inference
- Visualize data
- Conduct literature research
- Prepare your master thesis (optional)
You are a Bachelor or Master student (and have):
- A background in economics, mathematics, computer science, statistics, quantitative political science, causal inference, or related fields
- Experience working with large data
- Strong programming skills including R or Python
- A strong interest in econometrics and quasi-experimental methods
- Interest in or experience with machine learning
- Interest in or experience with webscraping
- Is able to read and understand scientific literature
- Enjoys working with senior researchers in a cooperative environment
- The ability to work independently and on your own initiative
- A methodical and systematic approach
- Structured and goal-oriented thinking
- Capacity to familiarise yourself quickly with new topics
- Creativity and openness to new approaches
- A high level of competence in oral and written German and English
- Reliability, engagement, and a high level of motivation
- Capacity for teamwork
- Organisational talent
- The chance to be part of a creative, interdisciplinary team
- A stimulating working environment in an internationally recognized research institute on Potsdam's beautiful, historic Telegrafenberg campus, a short commuting distance from Berlin
- Flexi-time and mobile working
PIK values equality and diversity. We encourage applications without photo. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, care responsibilities, or age. PIK seeks to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. In cases of equal qualification and within the given legal scope, women will be given preference. PIK also encourages applications by parents returning from parental leave.
Please apply directly via our application form. The advertising process will remain open until the position is successfully filled.
Please submit your application documents as one PDF file.
For further information or to discuss the position please contact Ms.Annika Stechemesser (stechemesser(at)pik-potsdam.de).