Student Assistant position FutureLab CERES (m/f/d)
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)
The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable development. It is one of the world's leading research institutions in its field and offers natural and social scientists from around the world an inspiring environment for excellent interdisciplinary research.
To strengthen its research capacity in causal climate policy evaluation in the newly established FutureLab “CERES: Political Economy for Inclusive Wealth Governance and Sustainability”, PIK is offering a
Student Assistant positionFutureLab CERES (m/f/d)
(Position number: 40-2023 SHK FL CERES)
in the field of research support, starting as soon as possible.
The position is funded for 8 months. The remuneration is determined according to the guidelines of the TdL. The current hourly rate for a student assistant with a Bachelor's degree is 12,72 € (without a Bachelor's degree 12,00 €). This is a part-time position with a weekly working time of 10-20 hours .
- Reviewing and collecting literature and data on sociopolitical barriers and enablers of the energy transition and climate policy
- Synthesizing findings from the academic literature around just transitions, the Green New Deal, and inclusive green growth (including governance strategies, public perception, media discourses, and political economy aspects)
You are a Bachelor or Master student (and have):
- A background in economics, political science, public policy, sociology, or related fields in the social sciences
- Familiarity and competency conducting large literature reviews in the social sciences.
- Experience conducting development or climate policy research in the Global South (contextual knowledge of South African or Indonesian politics or media is a plus)
- Knowledge of Python or other programming languages for conducting text analysis (or an interest in learning) is also a plus.
- Should be able to be physically present at our offices in Potsdam and/or at MCC in Berlin on a weekly basis.
- The ability to work independently and on your own initiative
- A methodical and systematic approach
- Structured and goal-oriented thinking
- Capacity to familiarise yourself quickly with new topics
- Creativity and openness to new approaches
- A high level of competence in oral and written English (knowledge of French or Spanish is a plus, but not necessary)
- Reliability, engagement and a high level of motivation
- Capacity for teamwork
- Organisational talent
- The chance to be part of a creative, interdisciplinary team
- Support with completing your Master's thesis if it is related to our research
- A stimulating working environment in an internationally recognized research institute on Potsdam's beautiful, historic Telegrafenberg campus, a short commuting distance from Berlin
- Flexi-time and mobile working
PIK values equality and diversity. We encourage applications without photo. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, care responsibilities, or age. PIK seeks to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. In cases of equal qualification and within the given legal scope, women will be given preference. PIK also encourages applications by parents returning from parental leave.
Please apply by 15.10.2023 directly using our application form.
Only applicants who are resident in Germany can be considered.