Student Assistant position (m/f/d)
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)
The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable development. It is one of the world's leading research institutions in its field and offers natural and social scientists from around the world an inspiring environment for excellent interdisciplinary research.
For the Adaptation in Agricultural Systems group, PIK is offering a
Student Assistant position (m/f/d)
(Position number: 48-2022 SHK Agrica)
in the field of research support, starting as soon as possible.
The position is funded for 6 months with the option of extension. The remuneration is calculated according to the requirements of the TdL. The current hourly rate for this position is €12.37 (with a bachelor's degree) and €12.00 (without a bachelor's degree). This is a part-time position with a weekly working time of 15-20 hours per week.
- Conduct literature reviews in the field of adaptation to climate change, agricultural systems in Sub-Sahara Africa, food security, smallholder farmers and development, to inform agricultural questionnaire development and survey design,
- Support the implementation of household surveys,
- Support data cleaning of quantitative socio-economic data,
- Transcribe interviews and focus group discussions for further scientific analysis,
- Create and maintain a literature database on studies assessing adaptation strategies in the agricultural sector,
- Support reporting and communication processes for ongoing projects.
- You are studying (agricultural) economics, geography, political science, sociology, development studies, or another relevant field,
- Experience with socio-economic survey data is desired,
- Knowledge on statistical methods and familiarity with statistics programmes are required,
- You are familiar with academic literature and citation databases and advanced literature search,
- You are able to document your work clearly and accessibly to other users,
- You have excellent communications skills and are fluent in oral and written English. Proficiency in other languages, in particular French, are an asset,
- You have the ability to work independently, goal-oriented and on your own initiative.
- A methodical and systematic approach,
- Capacity to familiarise yourself quickly with new topics,
- Creativity and openness to new approaches,
- Capacity for teamwork,
- Organisational talent.
- The chance to be part of a creative, interdisciplinary team,
- A stimulating working environment in an internationally recognised research institute on Potsdam's beautiful, historic Telegrafenberg campus, a short commuting distance from Berlin,
- Flexi-time and mobile working (up to 40% of your hours),
- A collective pay scheme and associated benefits as well as a subsidized travel card,
- Participation in user-driven research projects with international partners,
- Guidance and supervision in career development.
PIK values equality and diversity. We encourage applications without photo. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, care responsibilities, or age. PIK seeks to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. In cases of equal qualification and within the given legal scope, women will be given preference. PIK also encourages applications by parents returning from parental leave.
Please apply by 14.12.2022 directly using our application form.
For further information or to discuss the position please contact Dr. Sophia Weituschat at sophia.weituschat(at)pik-potsdam.de.