Sustainability Research Liaison Officer (m/f/d)
Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB), Berlin
“Research for the future of our freshwaters” is the mission of the Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB). The IGB is Germany’s largest and one of the leading international research centres for freshwaters. We seek to understand the fundamental processes governing freshwaters and their communities. Our research findings help to tackle global environmental changes and to develop measures for sustainable water management. The IGB is a diverse and inspiring place to work and conduct research. We promote individual development at every career level and stand for lively exchange and cooperation. With more than 350 employees and guests from all over the world, we conduct research at five locations in Berlin and at Lake Stechlin (Brandenburg). IGB closely collaborates with numerous national and international universities and other partners in science and society and is a member of the Leibniz Association, which connects 96 independent public research institutes in Germany.
The Directorate of the IGB invites applications for the position of a
Sustainability Research Liaison Officer (m/f/d)
to be based at IGB in Berlin-Friedrichshagen starting as of 1.5.2021.
The position aims to (1) act as an International Programme Officer for the network Alliance for Freshwater Life (AFL, allianceforfreshwaterlife.org); (2) act as an International Programme Officer for the Global Research Project EvolvES (linking evolution to sustainability) within Future Earth (futureearth.org); (3) link up and enhance contacts and collaboration within multiple national and international initiatives and programmes linked to sustainability (Future Earth, IPBES, IPCC, EU). The Sustainability Research Liaison Officer will actively engage in these interdisciplinary networks and programmes with the aim to enhance IGB’s contribution to sustainability research and translation to action. The Liaison Officer will actively help IGB researchers to contribute to these national and international initiatives. Meeting the environmental challenges of a rapidly changing world requires stronger interaction among scientific, political, and societal realms, with networks operating at trans-national and global scales. Given the ongoing crises of climate, biodiversity, and nature, we view this position as crucial to enhance the effectiveness of IGB’s contribution to a more sustainable world. The Liaison Officer will report directly to the Director.
- Monitor developments, opportunities, and questions from Future Earth, IPBES, IPCC and other similar initiatives, and ensure IGB’s targeted engagement in sustainability initiatives and research programmes, including those of the EU
- Coordinate and support contributions on policy documents issued by international organisations
- International Programme Officer of the Alliance for Freshwater Life: coordinate newsletter, organize network activities, communicate and promote activities, fundraising and budget management, develop the AFL business plan together with steering committee members, etc.
- International Programme Officer for EvolvES: liaison function between Future Earth and Steering Committee of EvolvES, organise and contribute to steering committee meetings, interact with IPOs of other Global Research Projects of Future Earth, fundraising and budget management, etc.
- Coordinate and assist in project applications on Sustainability Research
- PhD or Master with good knowledge of or experience in conservation, biodiversity, and sustainability with a professional understanding of global environmental challenges
- Experience in or excellent knowledge of freshwater ecosystems and freshwater biodiversity
- Experience in or relevant knowledge of evolutionary biology or (conservation) genetics
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Strong project / programme management skills
- Experience in working in international networks or with international stakeholders; proof of co-design at strategic or operational levels is an asset
- Excellent written and spoken English and German; other languages are an asset
- Self-motivated, proactive, organized, and delivery-focused
- Enthusiastic to work in diverse contexts
We offer a thriving, stimulating, and collaborative environment where excellent science is combined with a focus on relevance. There is strong motivation among IGB members to contribute more to sustainability initiatives. IGB offers a diverse environment with open communication lines, a flat hierarchy, and many opportunities to learn, enabling everyone to develop and use their creativity fully to reach our common goals.
Salary is paid according to the German salary scheme for the public sector (TVöD Bund). The position is full-time, but part-time appointments can be negotiated. The position is initially available for two years.
We foster your career development by providing qualification and training opportunities. We actively support the reconciliation of work and family life. Applicants are treated equally regardless of gender. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications of severely disabled persons with equal qualification will be given priority. We welcome applications by job-sharing tandems.
Are you interested?
We look forward to receiving your application that includes a cover letter stating your motivation and highlighting your relevant experience, your CV, and references no later than 5.3.2021. Please state the job reference number 08/2021 and apply exclusively via our recruitment platform at www.igb-berlin.de/en/jobs.
Questions can be directed to Luc De Meester by phone (+49 30 64181 602) or by e-mail (Luc.DeMeester(at)igb-berlin.de).