Ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich
To strengthen our team, we are looking for two economists (f/m/d) at the postdoc level for up to six years, starting in the next academic year or earlier.
The team led by Prof. Ludger Woessmann studies the determinants and consequences of education from an economic perspective. How can the state empower people to benefit from the potentials of an open society? To answer this question, the team investigates how education policy can contribute to prosperity and equality of opportunity. Join us in this task!
The ifo Institute is one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe. It works on economic and politic issues of international relevance at the highest scientific level and with an international impact and develops research-based recommendations for policymakers, business and society. Through its five fields of activity - research, promotion of young researchers, political consulting, participation in public debates and information/services - it contributes to maintaining and increasing sustainable economic prosperity and social participation under constantly changing conditions.
Do you want to know more about us and about your career opportunities? Meet us at https://www.ifo.de/en/about-us/ifo-career.
- You will conduct research in the field of economics of education, contributing to solutions for current societal challenges with applied econometric analyses
- You will conceive, acquire, manage and work on third-party funded projects
- You will publish your research results in internationally recognized peer-reviewed journals
- In line with our claim "Shaping the Economic Debate", you will make your research results accessible to the general public and thus contribute to the debate on economic and educational policy
Your qualifications and interests:
- You have a degree in economics with a focus on the economics of education, labor economics, applied microeconomics or a related field and have completed your PhD by job start
- You have already proven your relevant knowledge and experience through articles in internationally recognized refereed journals or working papers suitable for publication
- You contribute in-depth knowledge of methods of microeconometrics and applied economics
- With excellent English language skills, both written and spoken, you will be able to interact confidently in the international network of researchers
- Knowledge of the German language is an advantage
- You are a team player and like to take responsibility for yourself and others
Do you have experience in work with big data and machine learning methods? This would be a particular asset!
- You can expect an interesting and challenging job at one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe
- You will conduct policy-oriented empirical economic research in a top-class research team
- You can participate in the Junior Faculty Development Program and have the opportunity to teach at the University of Munich (LMU)
- Through our close connection to the CESifo network with over 1,760 members from all over the world, you will have the opportunity for intensive international experience and networking
- Your working contract will initially be limited to three years with an option to extend to up to six years
- Your remuneration and occupational pension scheme will be based on the collective agreement for the public service of the Länder (TV-L)
- We support you in your work and personal development with flexible working hours, the opportunity to partly work from home, and many opportunities for further training and education
- Employees who move from abroad receive a relocation allowance
- We support non-German-speaking employees with German language courses
With us, you will find an ideal working environment for excellent research. This was also confirmed by the European Commission, which awarded us the "HR Excellence in Research" award in 2019.
Our membership in the Familienpakt Bayern (Bavarian Family Pact) reinforces our measures to reconcile family and career.
We promote professional equality regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual identity. We aim to increase the proportion of women in research and therefore strongly encourage women to apply.
Then please send us your application documents with the reference number 2021-024 BI-WM by 10 November 2021 using the form here.
Please attach a letter of motivation, your CV, references and other documents relevant to your application in the lower section of the form.
Please make sure to use only .pdf files, Word documents and images in .jpg format. Please also note to use short file names. Too long file names can lead to errors when sending the application. Please read the document "Information on attachment naming" carefully so that your application can be sent to us without errors.
Please use "Mozilla Firefox" or "Microsoft Edge" as browser. In case of problems, please check if you are using the latest browser version.
If you have any questions, please contact recruiting(at)ifo.de.