Two researchers (m/f/d) in full time (100%)
Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF), Frankfurt am Main
Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF),
member of the Leibniz Association
The Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF) is a foundation under public law. With over 80 employees, PRIF is currently the largest peace and conflict research institute in Germany.
The Research Department I “International Security” is seeking to employ from June 1, 2023, or at the earliest possible date thereafter
Two researchers (m/f/d)
in full time (100%), salary scale E 13 TV-H.
The positions are offered on a fixed-term basis until March 31, 2026 (under the terms of the WissZVG), with a possible extension until 31 December, 2026. The positions are part of the Research Group on “Use and Control of Emerging Disruptive Technologies” (EDT) to be established within the new Cluster for Natural and Technical Science Arms Control Research (CNTR). The Cluster is being set up by PRIF in cooperation with the Technical University Darmstadt (TUDa) and Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) with funding from the German Federal Foreign Office. The Research Group on EDT is led by Prof. Dr. Dr. Christian Reuter (TUDa) and Dr. Niklas Schörnig (PRIF). It aims to scrutinize current issues in EDT control in an interdisciplinary way from the perspectives of natural, technical and political science and to develop technologically-informed policy options.
Your responsibilities include:
- Research at the intersection of the natural and technical sciences and peace and conflict studies;
- Scientifically based technology assessment on EDT and their (possible) military use, as well as their use in the context of arms control;
- Monitoring current and future arms control and export control agreements on EDT;
- Tracking relevant international EDT projects through a Technology Monitor;
- Contributing to the organization of relevant workshops and conferences;
- Publication of research results for various audiences;
- Participation in research on cross-cutting issues within the Cluster;
- Cooperation with colleagues at the Cluster, at PRIF and at TUDa (especially the departments for computer science and physics);
- Support for the local, national, and international networking activities of the Research Group, the Cluster and all partners.
In addition, we expect willingness to cooperate in an interdisciplinary context and to communicate research results to the political and general public. We also expect participation in the committees and overall work contexts of PRIF and TUDa.
As applicant, you should fulfill the following requirements:
- Above-average degree in pertinent sub-disciplines of physics, computer science, engineering;
- Ideally above-average doctorate or equivalent professional experience;
- Research interests in the area of control and disarmament of Emerging Technologies with potential military use;
- Willingness to work and cooperate in interdisciplinary project teams and to engage with political research questions;
- Very good spoken and written command of English.
Knowledge of German is not a prerequisite, but it is expected that the applicant shows willingness to try to acquire German language skills within the next one to two years.
You can expect:
- Family-friendly working hours and the possibility to partially work remotely;
- An interesting and varied workplace with affiliations at PRIF and TUDa;
- A motivated and committed team;
- An interdisciplinary and international project setting;
- Internal and external training opportunities;
- The opportunity for scientific and technical research and further academic qualification;
- Teaching opportunities;
- Occupational pension scheme (“VBL”);
PRIF is a recipient of the Total E-Quality award and seeks to promote equal representation in the work force at all levels and work/life balance. TUDa aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. In the case of equal qualification, applicants with severe disabilities will be given preference.
Please send your application documents, including a complete CV (without photo), certificates, references, and a concise outline of your research ideas, in pdf format via e-mail to bewerber(at)hsfk.de. Please include the position code “CNTR EDT”. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2023. Unfortunately, application expenses cannot be reimbursed.