Web and UI Software Engineer (m/f/d)
German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB), Hannover
As the German National Library of Science and Technology our future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-quality supply of information and literature for research in science and industry. With the Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG), we are working to revolutionise the exchange and use of scientific knowledge in the digital age.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking to employ a
Web and UI Software Engineer (m/f/d)
to join the Data Science & Digital Libraries Research Group (Prof. Dr. Sören Auer) at the earliest possible opportunity.
The position is initially limited to three years with envisioned extension. The regular weekly working time is 39.8 hours (full-time). The position is suitable for part-time work only to a limited extend. The remuneration is based on pay scale group 13 TV-L.
You will be responsible to develop innovative and mature information services for the TIB stakeholders in Science and Technology, in particular in the context of the Open Research Knowledge Graph (ORKG) and the German National Research Data Infrastructure initiatives (NFDI) as well as the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
Possible work areas include (but are not limited to)
- Scholarly Knowledge Graphs - in the context of our ORKG and OpenResearch.org initiatives
- Collaborative Knowledge Graph Management - requires good knowledge of semantic data management technologies
- Exploration & Search of Research Data - requires human-computer interaction, information visualization and retrieval expertise
- Question Answering Infrastructure (WDAqua/Qanary) - requires excellent skills in semantic technologies and natural language processing
Your competence area should be squarely rooted in Web software engineering, you should be able to think creatively, grasp new knowledge quickly, be able to design and develop innovative software systems and be interested in mastering complex challenges.
- Successfully completed university degree (Master or comparable) in a relevant field of study such as computer science or informatics
- Proficiency in spoken and written English; proficiency in German is a plus
- Proven experience in software development in a team environment
- Experience and interest in user-centric design and modern UI development as well as crowd-sourcing and collaborative community applications is a plus
- Familiarity with Semantic Technologies, Data Management, Human-Computer Interaction, Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics or Digital Libraries is an asset
What we offer
Our mission is to keep rethinking and innovating the provision and use of research data and information. In TIB’s Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to advance your career in a sizable, dynamic and excellent environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of the Leibniz Association. TIB collaborates closely with the L3S Research Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world’s leading research institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab Data Science & Open Knowledge. Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open, creative and fun work atmosphere.
Furthermore, we offer
- Financing for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
- Work in the context of national and international research and innovation projects
- A portfolio of technology components, including ORKG, OpenResearch.org, TIB AV-Portal, DBpedia.org, among others
- A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial, attractive and versatile working environment
- A comprehensive and in-depth training
- Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work and family life such as mobile work and remote work options
- An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension scheme for the public sector (VBL)
- Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
- A job in the public service oriented towards the common good with a salary in pay scale group 13 TV-L according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment and 30 days of vacation per year
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application. To submit your application, please click here.
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please send your complete application documents with the subject 34/2022 before July 6, 2022 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to bewerbung(at)tib.eu. For applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10 MB.
In the case of foreign university degrees, it is mandatory to submit a Statement of Comparability from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) for the final assessment of the hiring requirements during the hiring process (link for more information). A fee will be charged for this. This obligation does not apply if the foreign university degree has already been assessed by an expert and is listed in the ANABIN database of the ZAB as an equivalent university degree (link to ANABIN database).
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 600 employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having three main functions:
- Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-quality information and literature
- Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB’s role as a German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology
- Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment. We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please indicate in the subject line of your application through which job board you became aware of our offer.
For more information about the TIB, please visit www.tib.eu/en/.