Leibniz-Institut für Analytische Wissenschaften - ISAS - e. V. (ISAS), Dortmund und Berlin
The Leibniz-Institut für Analytische Wissenschaften - ISAS - e.V. is a research institute dedicated to the development and improvement of analytical methods and tools for health research and related fields. The ISAS is a member of the Leibniz Association and is publicly funded by the Federal Republic of Germany and its federal states.
For the group of Spatial Metabolomics in the department Bioanalytics at our location in Dortmund we are invite applications for a
PhD position (m/f/d).
We are looking for an exceptional Doctoral Candidate and therefore we welcome applications from well-qualified data science researchers/students to work on projects mainly focused on improving treatment outcomes in cardiovascular and cancer diseases using mass spectrometry based metabolomics, machine learning and imaging technologies. The PhD project will focus on applying advanced data analytics and cheminformatics to expand boundaries of metabolomics applications in biomedical research.
You will be responsible for
- Development and optimization of mass spectrometry metabolomics and multi-modal imaging analysis workflows
- Effectively utilize and customize publically available resources for metabolite annotation, statistical, visualization and metabolic flux analysis of data generated from mass spectrometry analysis of biological samples
- Communicating results effectively to interdisciplinary group of scientists
- Masters, Diploma or equivalent degree in Bioinformatics, Biotechnology or Data Science related subjects
- Good understanding of bioinformatics tools such as python, R or MATLAB is required
- Knowledge of informatics platforms related to metabolomics or mass spectrometry data analysis and associated mass spectrometry vendor supported software is advantageous
- Overall understanding of biomedical research and knowledge of biochemical processes can be useful
- Good presentation and writing skills
- Proactive, independent and solution-oriented way of working
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- A clear research topic as well as multifold training and support for PhD students in framework of ISAS and the Leibniz association
- Training and scientific development opportunities in an international environment and an excellent working atmosphere in a very dynamic and professional team
- Extensive state-of-the-art equipment and infrastructure in various analytical methods
- The opportunity to present your data on international conferences and participate in workshops
Non-residents who apply for this job will receive help from the institute to find accommodation and to handle authorities. Applications from disabled applicants are welcome. ISAS supports the principle of equal opportunity for all employees and would therefore particularly encourage women to apply.
The salary will be according to the German TV-L. The full-time position is offered for four years and available immediately. The time limitation of the contract is based on the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (WissZeitVG).
ISAS collects and processes the personal data of its applicants in accordance with European and German legal regulations. Further information on data protection and the processing of personal data can be found at www.isas.de/datenschutzhinweise-fuer-bewerberinnen-und-bewerber.
Closing date for application is 16th December 2021. Complete applications with an extended curriculum vitae with full publication list, a cover letter, copies of your diplomas, a 2-page research statement that clearly describes your research profile and interests in the position as well as your expertise and methodological competencies, names and contact information of 2 references, if available, should be submitted (quoting the reference number 45/2021 in the subject header) as a single pdf document to personal(at)isas.de.
Informal inquiries are welcome and can be submitted to the human resources department (personal(at)isas.de).
For further information on the institute please see http://www.isas.de.