Institut für Weltwirtschaft (IfW)
The research center of “International Finance and Global Governance” at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW) is looking for an
for the project „Varieties of sovereign debt crises resolution“ to take up the position at the earliest possible date. The intern will actively participate in an ambitious empirical research project on the relationship between different dimensions of sovereign debt structure and sovereign debt distress and resolution policy outcomes. In particular, this project focuses on the currency denomination of sovereign bonds and creditor structure of sovereign bonds.
on the characteristics of sovereign debt which can matter a lot in case of debt distress and resolution policy. One important dimension of the debt structure is the currency of issuances or creditor structure.
What we offer:
- Profound knowledge of data processing procedures and the generation of descriptives (using Stata)
- An open and international work environment in a team of motivated RAs and interns
- Attendance of various IfW seminars and participation, upon agreement, in courses offered by the Kiel Institute’s Advanced Studies Program (ASP) and Kiel Institute summer schools
What we DO NOT offer:
- Literature review or any form of academic or policy related writing
- Day-to-day business tasks
- Collaboration on other projects of the department or of the Kiel Institute
- Remote work. The internship position is to be conducted at the Institute in Kiel
What we expect:
We are looking for a student who
- possesses a high GPA (2.5 or higher on the German scale or equivalent)
- possesses profound programming skills in Stata (R or Python also possible), ideally exceeding knowledge gained in a university class
- is able to think analytically
- is motivated and does not hesitate to propose ideas to move the project forward
- is experienced in working independently, accurately and in a structured manner
- has an interest in working with data in Stata
- performs tasks responsibly and reliably
- has an interest in international finance, international macroeconomics, international trade, development economics or economic history
Information on the application: German language skills are not required.
Please submit your application via the application form on https://www.ifw-kiel.de/institute/working-at-the-kiel-institute/job-vacancies/ using ID-No. 06_20_Prakt_Crises_01.
Please include a Cover letter (please address all points mentioned under point 3 and explain where you gained skills in the use of the relevant software)
CV (including your current GPA)
Your most recent university transcript in German or English (transcripts in other languages will not be accepted. In case the grades shown do not align with the German system, please provide an official German equivalent showing e.g. A = 1.0-1.3)
Reference letter(s), if available Please take time to address all bullet points as only complete applications will be considered. Missing documents can be submitted to the Human Resources Department at a later stage provided that the intention to do so is stated in the application. Please note that you have to be enrolled as a student to be considered for this position. If you are in between programs or if you plan to complete your degree halfway through the contract, we cannot take your application into consideration. Please note that we can only consider applications received via our online tool. Applications sent via email will not be considered. In order to be eligible for this position you have to hold EU citizenship or need to be able to provide a work permit that is valid throughout the time of your contract. Please inform yourself about the work permit application procedure and eligibility before you apply to this internship position and be aware that the application procedure for a work permit might take up to three months. The internship position is limited to three months. Please do not include a photo of yourself with your application. Contact: Please do not hesitate to direct any questions regarding the position or the application process to the following contact: Josefin Meyer firstname.lastname@example.org