PhD Candidate/Junior Researcher (m/f/d)
FIZ Karlsruhe - Leibniz-Institut für Informationsinfrastruktur (FIZ KA)
FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz Institute for Information Infrastructure is an internationally leading provider of scientific information and services and a member of the Leibniz Association. We provide patent and research information for science and industry. To this end, we index very large amounts of data from many different sources. In addition we develop and operate innovative information services and e-research solutions for a precise research and intelligent analysis of these data. For this purpose we conduct applied researches. Our customers include international market leaders from the pharmaceutical and chemical industries as well as large patent offices and research institutions. FIZ Karlsruhe is a non-profit GmbH and one of the largest information infrastructure institutions in Germany.
We are recruiting for the position of a
PhD Candidate/Junior Researcher (m/f/d)
who is available for an immediate start (80% position) in the fields of
- Knowledge Graphs
- Natural Language Processing
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning
The offered position will be in the research team “Information Services Engineering” (FIZ ISE). The doctorate will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Harald Sack (FIZ Karlsruhe and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, KIT, Institute of Applied Informatics and Formal Description Methods). Teaching (at KIT) is not mandatory, but welcome on a volunteer basis. Work will be focused on challenging third party funded international research projects related to the PhD topic.
This position is part of the NFDI4Culture project on research data infrastructures for material and immaterial cultural heritage. NFDI4Culture is part of the German Research Data Infrastructure initiative. Particular tasks within the project will be the design, implementation, population and management of the NFDI4Culture knowledge graph.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Candidates have an outstanding master´s degree (or an equivalent university degree) in computer science or another related discipline (as e.g. mathematics, computational linguistics, information science, computer engineering, etc.) and will target a Ph.D. degree
- We expect eagerness to participate in team work, outstanding analytical competence, strong interest in interdisciplinary research, experience in software engineering, as well as superior organization and communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Language skills in German are highly beneficial. If necessary applicants are expected to improve their English and German language skills through intensive language classes
- Qualified candidates who are about to complete their master degree are also encouraged to apply
- A creative, active, internationally renowned research group, support for publication at leading international conferences and journals, excellent supervision in our Ph.D. program, and an outstanding working environment in a new, technically excellent campus
- The chance to shape future-oriented information services in an innovative scientific and technological environment
- Work contract with a salary bases on the collective agreement for public sector employees (German Tarifvertrag öffentlicher Dienst (TVöD)), which depends in the candidate´s profile. The position is limited to 2 years with an optional extension
How to apply:
Excellent candidates are invited to apply with:
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Copies of degree certificates/transcripts (including grade sheets)
- Publication record (including DBLP or Google Scholar profile, if available)
- Writing samples/copies of relevant scientific papers (e.g. thesis, etc.)
- Letters of recommendation (preferably at least two from previous academic supervisors)
- A statement of interest/letter of motivation covering your research goals, why you pursue a PhD in computer science and why you think you can contribute to FIZ ISE research topics
FIZ Karlsruhe considers itself a family-friendly organization and practices equal opportunities. We offer you interesting tasks within international collaborations as well as performance-oriented career opportunities. Our highly flexible working time models take both your family’s and our organization’s situation and requirements into account. Since October 2016 we have been certified by the audit berufundfamilie. FIZ Karlsruhe also positively welcomes applications from suitably qualified disabled people. The position is available from January 2021. We will consider applications until the position is filled. Information on data protection for applicants can be found at www.fiz-karlsruhe.de/en/stellenanzeigen.
For questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Harald Sack (Harald.Sack(at)fiz-karlsruhe.de).
Please send your complete application documents by e-mail, quoting the reference number 06/2021 to
FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz Institute for Information Infrastructure
Mr. Rainer Kurz
Phone: +49 7247/808-168, bewerbung(at)fiz-karlsruhe.de