PostDoc/Senior Researcher (m/f/d)
FIZ Karlsruhe - Leibniz-Institut für Informationsinfrastruktur (FIZ KA)
FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz Institute for Information Infrastructure is an internationally leading provider of scientific information and services. We provide patent and research information for science and industry. To this end, we index very large amounts of data from many different sources. In addition we develop and operate innovative information services and e-research solutions for a precise research and intelligent analysis of these data. For this purpose we conduct applied researches. Our customers include international market leaders from the pharmaceutical and chemical industries as well as large patent offices and research institutions. FIZ Karlsruhe is a non-profit GmbH and one of the largest information infrastructure institutions in Germany.
Information Service Engineering (ISE) investigates models and methods for efficient semantic indexing, aggregation, linking, and retrieval of comprehensive heterogeneous and distributed data sources. To this end, both statistical and linguistic analysis methods (NLP) as well as machine learning in combination with symbolic logic and interference mechanisms are applied. ISE research relies and extends on knowledge representation standards developed for the Semantic Web. ISE research application areas include but are not limited to solutions for semantic annotation, semantic search, exploratory search, as well as recommender systems and question answering.
We are looking for the position of a
PostDoc/Senior Researcher (m/f/d)
Knowledge Graphs (DDB2020)
who is available for an immediate start at our Karlsruhe headquarters.
- The offered position will be in the FIZ ISE research team
- Innovative research on ISE research topics including scientific publications, third party funding proposals, active involvement in professional academic activities
- Teaching (at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, KIT) is not mandatory, but welcome on a volunteer basis
- Supervision of master and bachelor theses, co-supervision of FIZ ISE PhD students
- We offer a productive and continuously evolving research environment, in which you can discuss ideas with FIZ ISE team members working on related topics as well as the opportunity to set up your own research team
- Our goal is to perform internationally leading research which can be applied in high impact use cases
This position is part of the DDB2020 project on “User-oriented Restructuring of the German Digital Library”. Particular tasks within the project will be the design, implementation, population and management of the DDB knowledge graph, which involves knowledge discovery and mining on structured and unstructured data on large scale.
Qualifications and Skills:
- A completed PhD and Master degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Publications of research results in renowned, peer-reviewed journals and conferences
- Proven software engineering skills and the ability to develop mature software components beyond pure research prototypes
- Successful supervision of bachelor and master students
- Successful collaborations with other research groups industry, as well as open-source and community initiatives, for example, in the context of publicly funded collaborative research projects
- Successful competition for funding by national and international funding bodies
- Excellent English skills, written and spoken, German language skills are highly beneficial
Expertise in the following fields of research:
- Knowledge Graphs and Semantic Web Technologies
- Ontologies and Ontological Engineering
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Knowledge Discovery and Knowledge Mining
The candidate should be highly self-motivated and be interested in tackling challenging research problems, have organizational skills, be open minded, and have scientific leadership potential.
The advertised position gives you the opportunity to contribute to the development of advanced information services in an innovative scientific and technical environment. We offer you interesting tasks within international collaborations as well as performance-oriented career opportunities. Our highly flexible working time models take both your family’s and our organization’s situation and requirements into account. FIZ Karlsruhe considers itself a family-friendly organization and practices equal opportunities. Since October 2016 we have been certified by the audit berufundfamilie.
Your salary will be based on the collective agreement for public sector employees (German Tarifvertrag öffentlicher Dienst (TVöD)) and will depend on your profile. The position is limited to 15 months. FIZ Karlsruhe is committed to promoting the careers of women and therefore looks forward to receiving applications by female candidates. FIZ Karlsruhe also positively welcomes applications from suitably qualified disabled people. Information on data protection for applicants can be found at www.fiz-karlsruhe.de/en/stellenanzeigen.
For questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Harald Sack (Harald.Sack(at)fiz-karlsruhe.de).
Please send your complete application documents by e-mail, quoting the reference number 04/2021 to
FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz Institute for Information Infrastructure
Mr. Rainer Kurz