Postdoctoral Research Fellow (f/m/x)
Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB)
The WZB Berlin Social Science Centre (Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung gGmbH), research group “Work and Care” (Prof. Lena Hipp, PhD), seeks to hire
a Postdoctoral Research Fellow (f/m/x)
for an appointment starting October 2020 (negotiable) for a duration of up to three years. Shorter durations are possible for candidates with faculty positions in hand. The appointment is made at 100% of the regular working hours (currently 39 hours/week). The employment is subject to availability of funding.
The WZB is a publicly financed international social science institution that conducts basic research that is theory-based and problem-oriented (see: http://www.wzb.eu/en). The position will be attached to the third-party-funded research project “Who cares? Paid and unpaid care work”. By employing quantitative and experimental methods, this research projects aims at answering the following (and related) questions: Why is pay for social service work still low despite the high demand for caregivers? How can men and women balance work and family successfully? What obstacles must be overcome so that the outsourcing of care and support tasks reduces gender inequalities instead of shifting them from one population group to another?
More information about the WZB and the research group „Work and Care“, to which the research group is attached, can be found at: https://wzb.eu/en/research/dynamics-of-social-inequalities/work-and-care
- Designing and implementing research projects within the framework of the research project “Who Cares?”
- Writing research articles and publishing them in peer-reviewed journals
- Collaborating with and mentoring other scholars in the unit
- Playing a leading role in developing the group’s workshops and research projects
- Completed Ph.D. (or close to completion)
- Degree in sociology or a related social science field
- Very good knowledge of quantitative or experimental research methods and statistics
- Advanced skills in Stata, R or any other syntax-based statistics software
- Experience with collecting ‘big data’ via APIs or webscraping, cleaning, and analyzing them
- Interest and knowledge in at least one of the following areas: gender, family, labor markets, social inequality
- Very good English language skills
Salary for the position: Group E 14 TVöD (in accordance with German public service collective agreement)
Candidates are requested to submit a CV, writing sample, and cover letter in English or German by 15 August 2020 by email in one pdf-file to isabell.strobl(at)wzb.eu.
The WZB is committed to providing opportunities to people from all backgrounds to help create a welcoming and inclusive community. To this end, the WZB explicitly encourages women and persons with a migratory background to apply. Equally well qualified disabled persons will be given priority.