Forschungszentrum Borstel, Leibniz Lungenzentrum (FZB), Borstel
We are announcing part-time position as
This position is offered for 36 months starting from Jan 1, 2021.
The Research Center Borstel is an internationally renowned research institute with 550 employees, financed by the Federal Government and the State of Schleswig-Holstein. Our central task is research and patient care in the field of respiratory diseases. We operate both basic research infrastructures and a medical clinic. Our goal is to improve existing methods for the detection, prevention and treatment of lung diseases and to develop new, innovative therapeutic approaches.
This position is part of 3rd party funded Leibniz Science Campus EvoLUNG (Leibniz Association, Federal Government of Schleswig-Holstein, Christian-Albrechts University Kiel), founded in 2016. EvoLung is concerned with questions of evolutionary medicine in the field of lung health. In the context of the doctoral thesis, the interaction of gene mutations, the microbial colonization of the respiratory tract (lung microbiome) and the development of asthma will be investigated. Using the fruit fly as a model organism, we want to determine how specific genes change the composition of the microbiome and thus influence the innate immune system or increase the risk of respiratory diseases. By specifically manipulating the microbiome, we aim to characterize its role in the development of asthma.
- Planning, execution and evaluation of experiments with the model organism D. melanogaster (fruit fly)
- (Immuno) histological, molecular biological and cell biological analyses in vitro and in vivo
- Data evaluation, presentation, compilation, preparation of publications, support of further projects
- MSc. in natural sciences/life sciences (biology, biochemistry or equivalent)
- Experience in histological, molecular biological and cell biological methods
- Practical experience with animal experiments, knowledge of entomology and classical genetics is an advantage
- Motivation and flexibility, pronounced willingness to interdisciplinary cooperation and the ability to work in a team
- very good written and spoken English skills and the ability to present scientific data
- Participation in a productive and active team
- Payment according to TVöD-VKA EG13 (65%) incl. all benefits usually offered in the public sector
- Family-friendly working conditions and flexible working hours, Childcare centre and workplace health promotion
- Structured graduate program for PhD candidates (Borstel Biomedical Research School)
- Opportunities for continuing education (attending international conferences, lab rotation program)
The RCB is certified for the "berufundfamilie" audit and specifically promotes the compatibility of career and family. The under-represented gender is given special consideration while maintaining the same professional and personal aptitude. Severely handicapped persons with otherwise equal aptitude are also given preferential consideration.
Please send your application (without photo) to Prof. Susanne Krauss-Etschmann by Nov 30, 2020 using our website www.fz-borstel.de.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Hanna Angstmann by phone +49 4537 188-5844 or via email, hangstmann(at)fz-borstel.de.
For us, your age, gender and sexual identity, your world view, your ethnicity or a handicap are not important. We are solely interested in your knowledge and skills and your ability to work in a team. If attractive work content and a solution-oriented approach are more important to you than formalities, you are in the right place!