PhD student (m/f/d)
Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF), Müncheberg
The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society. ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and is located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
The SAW funded project " AID-CROP: Amorphous silica in soils and plants Improves Drought stress tolerance of crops” aims to uncover Si-dependent mechanisms that control water availability in soils and plant tissues and to set basis for targeted Si nutrition in crop production. To understand the potential mechanisms underlying beneficial Si effects in drought-stressed plants, AID-CROP will use state-of-the-art methods with wildtype barley and modified lines defective in Si transport, plant hormone analysis, photosynthesis measurements together water use efficiency analyses, and the determination of drought stress-related metabolites in the xylem bleeding sap. Field plot experiments will be conducted at the landscape level in combination with greenhouse trials to decipher the mechanisms how Si is mitigating drought stress in plants.
We are offering a 65% position temporarily limited for 36 months at our location in Müncheberg as a
PhD student (m/f/d)
- Independent planning, performance and analysis of experiments under controlled and field conditions studying the impact of SI fertilization on agricultural plant water stress mitigation
- Independent measurements on photosynthesis, transpiration, and related leaf and plant physiological parameters to assess drought responses of agricultural plants depending on SI fertilization
- Laboratory analysis of leaf samples to assess water use efficiency under field and laboratory conditions using stable carbon isotope analysis
- Close collaboration with the PhD students and postdoc of the project
- Presentation of research results at national/international conferences
- Publication of results in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- University degree (Univ.-Diplom or M.Sc.) in the field of geoecology, biology, agriculture, environmental or soil science or related subjects
- Profound knowledge in biogeochemistry and plant eco-physiology
- Knowledge of agricultural ecosystems are beneficial
- Willingness to conduct physically demanding field work during field trips over several days
- Team spirit, flexibility, high motivation and the ability to work independently
- Scientific curiosity and willingness to work on a doctoral thesis
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
- An interdisciplinary working environment that encourages independence and self-reliance
- Classification according to the collective agreement of the federal states (TV-L) up to EG 13/65% (including special annual payment)
- A collegial and open-minded working atmosphere in a dynamic research institution
- Family-orientated work
- An interdisciplinary and international working environment
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favored. Please send your application preferably by e-mail (one PDF file, max. 5 MB; packed PDF documents, archive files like zip, rar etc. Word documents cannot be processed and therefore cannot be considered!) with the usual documents, in particular CV, proof of qualification and certificates, stating the reference number 09-2022 until February 28, 2022 toBewerbungen(at)zalf.de.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Maren Dubbert, phone +49(0)33432/82-574, maren.dubbert(at)zalf.de.
For cost reasons, application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached.
If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.
You can find further information at www.zalf.de/en/ueber_uns/Pages/Datenschutzerklaerung.aspx.