Postdoc in Molecular Genetics (m/f/x)
Leibniz Institute on Aging - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI), Jena
The Leibniz Institute on Aging - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) in Jena is a federal and state government-funded research institute and member of the Leibniz Association (Leibniz-Gemeinschaft). FLI’ s internationally visible and highly competitive research is focused on understanding the mechanisms of aging and associated age-related diseases. Scientists from over 40 countries are currently investigating the molecular mechanisms of aging and the occurrence of age-related diseases. Our aim is to create the basis for new approaches in medicine as a way to improve the health of the elderly (www.leibniz-fli.de).
The research group led by Prof. Dr. Christoph Englert at FLI is seeking for a highly motivated and talented Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/x) to join their team:
Postdoc in Molecular Genetics (m/f/x)
Research focus of the Lab: The Englert Lab investigates the genetic basis of aging and regeneration. We work with two fish species, namely zebrafish and the short-lived killifish Nothobranchius furzeri and use genomic engineering as well as several -omics technologies to analyze the function of individual genes during aging, regeneration and senescence. Very recently we have generated a transparent killifish line (eLife 12:e81549) that serves as a tool for several in vivo applications.
Tasks and Challenges:
The candidate will explore the genetic basis of aging and regeneration with a focus on senescence and reprogramming. The candidate will use various experimental techniques such as molecular cloning and
cell culture work, additionally state-of-the-art technologies including genomic engineering, various sequencing applications as well as proteomics.
The ideal candidate should have experience in any of these technologies mentioned above, be scientifically independent, able to plan, discuss and communicate at high level all aspects of the project, including data analysis. In addition, the candidate will be involved in the supervision of students at different levels of training.
- PhD in Biology, Life Science, Biomedicine, or equivalent
- Genuine interest in pursuing independent academic career
Experience in molecular cloning, genomic engineering, sequencing and respective data analysis
- Excellent spoken and written English
- FELASA-equivalent certification and experience in animal experiment planning is a plus, but not a prerequisite.
- You will become part of a world-leading research institute dedicated to the biology of aging and the opportunity to join a very well-equipped Lab with an international team and with focus on Molecular Genetics
Access to multiple state-of-the-art facilities. Our work is embedded in the Beutenberg Campus, an interdisciplinary base for innovative research.
- A position integrated in the FLI PostDoc Network. The Network promotes interdisciplinary collaborations involving clinician scientists, basic scientists and bioinformaticians and supports career development and postdoctoral training courses.
- The contract conditions and the salary will be according to the collective labour agreement for public service employees of the federal states of Germany (TV-L E13) for 2 years initially, with the possibility of extension.
Flexible working time, a family friendly working environment that provides a healthy work-life balance, company health management including support for child care solutions and dual career options.
We provide support with various qualification and further training opportunities and use of the Haufe learning platform with numerous different online courses.
Please apply online through the FLI application portal by 10.03.2024.
FLI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and promotes diversity. It aims to increase the proportion of underrepresented groups in case of equal suitability. All qualified persons, regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other classification protected by law will receive consideration for employment.