Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/d) Visual Regional Geographies
Leibniz Institute for Regional Geography (IfL), Leipzig
The Leibniz Institute for Regional Geography (Leibniz-Institut für Länderkunde, IfL) in Leipzig, Germany, offers a position for a maximum of four years starting as soon as possible
Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/d)
"Visual Regional Geographies" (100 % E 13 TV-L) (f/m/d)
for research on questions of theory-based development of visual and digital geographic methodologies and research perspectives in the new research area "Visual Regional Geographies" (VisRegGeo). The position, in accordance with § 2 Abs. 1 Satz 1 WissZeitVG, is limited to a maximum of 4 years. It is full time but is also suitable for part-time employment.
The new cross-departmental research emphasis "Visual Regional Geographies" at the IfL investigates how visual representations and mediations—and the practices associated with them—shape our views of the world. Particular attention is paid to critical research concerning text-image-map sources, practices and infrastructures that generate and mediate geographical knowledge. The IfL's collections offer a rich resource of maps, expedition reports, diaries, paintings and photographs from the end of the 19th century to the present day. An essential component of the research focus is the further development of a digital infrastructure for the indexing, presentation, provision, evaluation and communication of visual sources.
The IfL analyses social processes from geographical perspectives and provides knowledge on sustainable and regionally balanced development concepts. The IfL is the only non-university research institution for geography in the German-speaking world. As a member of the Leibniz Association, the institute is jointly funded by the Federal Government and the Länder.
- Development of research questions in a team and independent work on a research project within the Visual Regional Geographies research area. The proposed project should relate to current research topics at the IfL (https://leibniz-ifl.de/en/research/research-topics/overview), such as the effectiveness of combined text-image-map representations and their analogue or digital interfaces, or the influence of visual materials and infrastructures on spatial knowledge. Visual and/or digital methods should be used. Projects that make use of the holdings of the Archives of Geography and/or the Central Geographical Library are particularly welcome.
- Supporting the VisRegGeo coordinator in the strategic development of the VisRegGeo focus area as part of the medium-term research programme at the IfL
- Participating in the acquisition of third-party funding at national and international level
- Organising workshops and events
- Scientific profiling through:
- Expanding and maintaining an international network of experts and research institutes on theoretical and methodological issues of visual regional geographies
- Evaluation and (further) development of multidisciplinary and multiperspective approaches to the analysis of visual artefacts
- Presentation and publication of project results at international conferences and in peer-reviewed journals.
- The opportunity to realise your own research ideas
- Support for further academic qualification from IfL researchers and the network of external partners
- An exciting, collegial working environment with opportunities for creativity and national and international collaboration
- Attractive benefits, such as partially subsidized Job Ticket or Deutschlandticket
- Family-friendly work culture with flexible working hours and the option of mobile working as part of a company agreement on work-life balance
- Salary in accordance with TV-L, depending on personal qualifications, up to salary group 13 TV-L, company pension scheme (VBL)
- Ph.D. in a discipline (geography, cartography, digital humanities, cultural studies, media studies, history, etc.) with a thematic relevance to the above-mentioned activity.
- Evidence of relevant research experience through publications and lectures/presentations of research results
- Experience with qualitative, visual and digital methods
- National and international networking in the context of the research focus
- Innovative spirit, strong implementation skills and ability to work in a team
- Ability to develop theory-based methodologies and research perspectives in the context of digital humanities, digital geographies, digital history and related fields
- Excellent written and oral skills in English and German
- Experience in the acquisition of externally funded projects or research grants
We would also value
- Collection-based research experience
- Scientific and project management experience
The IfL is committed to professional equality for all genders. We value diversity and welcome all applications regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic or social origin, religion, disability, age or sexual orientation. Severely disabled candidates and candidates of equal ability will be given preferential consideration on the basis of equal aptitude, professional achievement and qualifications.
Please send your informative and complete application (cover letter, two-page project proposal, curriculum vitae, relevant certificates and proofs of your own texts) as a PDF document of max. 20 pages and quoting the keyword "Post-Doc VisRegGeo" to: personal(at)leibniz-ifl.de
Please do not include a photograph in your application.
Dr Kimberly Coulter (k_coulter(at)leibniz-ifl.de)